1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Conversion :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeeTodd, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

Hi all,

i accidently converter my 120gb maxtor harddrive to a "Dynamic Drive" and it has now become unaccessible :(

It wont let me access it, wont show in My Computer, but it shows in Device manager.

I currently run Windows Vista,

But have also tried this harddrive on a Windows XP PC and still no luck,

Is it possible to convert it back without loosing my data as it is very important?

Thanks alot
    Toddy (LeeTodd)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't convert it back to a basic disk without losing everything. It sounds like more than the conversion took place, what do you see in Disk Management when you connect it to a second system?

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi LeeTodd, and welcome to TSG.

For starters, disconnect the drive until you have a recovery attempt plan in place. Writing anything to drive could make it that much harder to recover anything.

Did you do the conversion using Maxtor's EZ-BIOS / Max Blast software? From what I remember using it a long time ago, the Dynamic Drive overlay is applied as part of partitioning and formatting the hard drive. If so, the news may be a bit grim about the condition of your files.

You may may be able to use some commercial software to recover all or some of the files. Some of these downloadable software packages includes a free trial mode that examines the drive and lets you know what it thinks it can recover. You install the software on a working PC that has the problem drive connected as a slave. Someone else here may be able to recommend a specific product.

4. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome,

I done it through Windows disk managment, That being the only place where it is reconised,

I tried to convert back but it wanted to format,

Can you recommend some tools i could try out?

Thanks again

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Once you convert a basic disk into a dynamic disk, you can not convert it back into a basic disk unless you delete every volume on the entire disk. There is no way to convert a dynamic disk into a basic disk and preserve the drive’s contents.

There may be one hope and that is to install XP on the dynamic disk, recover your data then reformat and start anew. I say "may" because I've never tried it.

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Been doing a little research and I found this;

"Moving a Dynamic Disk to a New System
    Windows 2000 makes the task of moving drives to a new system a lot easier. If you want to move a dynamic drive to a new computer, follow these steps:

1. Access Disk Management on the system where the dynamic drives are currently installed.

2. Check the status of the drives and ensure that they're marked as healthy. If the status isn't healthy, you should repair partitions and volumes, as necessary, before you move the disk drives.

3. Remove drive letters and drive paths that reference the drives, as described in the section of this chapter entitled "Assigning Drive Letters and Paths."

4. If the drives are hot-swappable and this feature is supported on both systems, remove the drives, and then install them on the destination computer. Otherwise, turn off both computers. Remove the drives from the original system and then install them on the new system. When you're finished, turn the computers back on.

5. On the destination computer, from the Action menu select Rescan Disks. When the scan finishes, right-click any disk marked Foreign, and then click Import Foreign Disks."

Do you have access to a W2K machine?

7. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

Not yet, going to try and install Windows XP onto it again.

If it still wants me to format i will install W2K on another harddrive and test your method.

If you come across anything else please let me know :)

8. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

Tried to install Windows XP onto it but the Harddrive says there is no room for it,

Even though i had 20gig Free, it doesnt even have the 8mb cache *Confused*

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you given up on rescuing the data? If so, I'd simply run the disk manufacturer's drive diagnostic and clear the entire drive. Then it'll be fresh and clean and ready for Windows. :)

10. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

I could really do with keeping the data, but from what i have heard it is almost impossible.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

Have you investigated the W2K option I mentioned above?

12. LeeTodd

LeeTodd Thread Starter

Not yet, i am going to install W2K Later on today and give it ago.

But why would W2K Offer support to recover data when Windows Xp & Vista dont?

Windows confuses me sometimes,

Would it work on a different OS, Such as Unix?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Vista will allow you to import a dynamic disk. To do this open disk management and remove the drive letter. Disconnect the drive and install it on the other system. Go it disk mgt and right click and import foreign disk.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice