harddrive crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JJAG

i think my c drive has crashed. i have a dell win.me.when it powers up all i get is a black sreen saying f1 for reboot or f2 to enter setup but pressing either one will not do anything.when i open the computer up there is a beeping noise and a spinning noise coming from the hard drive.how can i test the harddrive?and if it is bad have i lost all my data?

It does not sound good.

To test the hard drive would require trying to "slave" it in a computer running a compatable version of Windows to see if it can be accessed (that would eliminate a motherboard or cable problem as well).

Please explain the "beeping" though, is this a sequence of beeps from the motherboard speaker or just an additional sound from the hard drive.

As to data being lost, that would depend on what the ultimate problem is. If the hard drive has gone south, then unless you have a lot of money to spend on professional data recovery companies, its quite possible its gone.

Its times like this you will be glad you made regular backups!

Your guess about a failed hard drive is probably correct. There's really not any way for a non-technical person to test a drive. You could install and brand new drive, install your OS on it, and then try to hook the old drive up as a slave to test it.

As to your data... well, there are companies that will recover lost data from crashed drives, but it's not cheap. At least it didn't used to be. You might want to check your local yellow pages or do a Google search.

Luck!

~Eric

JJAG

the beeping is from the drive itself,when i unplug the power from the drive the beeping stops.its a real low steady beeping.whats the advice on buying a new drive?should i buy one from dell r what.and once installed does evrything have to be reinstalled.

You should be able to use a non-dell drive just fine, but everything will need to be reinstalled from scratch, using the Dell disks.

Maybe you have a floopy disk in your floppy drive?
This happened to me. Turns out my system thought that the floppy disk was some sort of boot disk.I popped it out and BAM! Windows login screen came up :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online