1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive DEAD; LOST DATA

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ARBAT, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

Circuit City tech guy says he could NOT transfer my
    data from IDE 60 GB to my new HP computer I bought on 7/8/7
    He said the harddrive wasn't spinning & he thought it was dead.
    (My monitor fizzled out on 7/7/7 like a light bulb going out.)
    HOW DO I RETREIVE MY IMPORTANT DATA??????

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the hard drive is not spinning, your options are suddenly very expensive.

You will need to take the drive to a professional data recovery company, but prepare yourself for a likely very high cost. If the drive has to be opened, a "clean room" lab is essential as even a single speck of dust will take out the heads and platter.

Data that only exists on a hard drive and is not backed up is data that you don't care about losing. The hard drive and PSU are the two most failure prone devices in a PC. You need to backup important data regularly, the hard drive is temporary storage at best.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice