1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Defragging Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tLove2487, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tLove2487

tLove2487 Thread Starter

I dunno if I'm looking for a program or what. I run XP Defrag (the default under accessories) a lot. But I have two large files that will not frag. Both are DV movies 2 & 4 gigs each. I have a 60 gig HD, and I have around 60% of that filled.

These files will not come back together. So, is there a program that you can litereally move files around on your HD, so that they are no longer fragmented? Do any other defragging programs do what I'm talking about? Or do i need to just get the files off my HD, defrag, and put them back on?
    Thanks!

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

i'm pretty sure that there is a program floating around the internet that will do just that, but i don't know the name, if you have some time you can search google for a while, refining you search alot

3. brite750

brite750

A couple of things, 1 i wouldnt flip out so much about defragging all the time with an ntfs system, it does very little with todays processors and hdds, its not like the old 200mhz, win95 days. 2 if you are really worried about it you should probably set up a separate partition or separate hdd for you dvd files. etc., 3 i think your idea about taking them off and then putting them back on may be your workable option, although i am curious as to why they dont defrag like everything else.

4. brite750

brite750

OK just answered some of my own questions apparently you should run a defrag before burning a DVD, ok thats cool, but it doesnt answer why your having problems defraggin after. Another thing is that dfragging does beat the crap out of your hdd so be aware of that which would be another reason to have a separate hdd for your movies. What defrag does XP use the same one as Win2000? I use to like the winME one with the little squares, great to watch when you cant fall asleep, a couple minutes of watching that and you were out cold.

5. p8jx6

p8jx6

So true :) i have had problems defraging 800 MB files on an NTFS Volume, they are my CD images, another reason is the drive only had about 3 Gig free, and XP likes to put a small amount of freespace at the end of the file in case it changes
    And the reason that XP's Defrag is as efective as prior versions of windows, is it moves the whole file at once, instead of moving the clusters out of the way first, like 9x/ME

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice