1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive filesize problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cassis, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

Hi.

I recently installed a new harddrive (seagate barracuda 80gb). The problem is that all files seem to take more space on the new drive than they do on my other drive. For example... a program that is 811kb takes up around 1,1Mb. When I check properties on the program file is says:
    Size: 811Kb (831 395 Byte), 1114112 Byte being used. When I copy the program to my old drive and click on properties it says:
    Size: 811Kb (831 394 Byte), 860160 Byte being used.

Why does a program that is 811Kb take up around 1,1mb on my new drive?
    I used their Seagate's program DiskWizard to create a partition on my computer. Maybe this has something to do with the problem.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system are you running?

3. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 98

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you right click on my computer, properties, preformance.....does it say 32 bit for file system?

5. Rockn

Rockn

Candy is correct, you probably set up a FAT partition instead of a FAT32 partition.

6. Krall

Krall

Is your old hard drive smaller than 80 gb? Im sure it is. All operating systems newer than win95 will maker the size being used larger than the actual size of the file to help with performance issues. The larger the amount of disk space, the more amount of space windows will allocate for file performance. Unfortunetly there is no way to change this.

7. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

thanks for the replys... and it's a FAT32 partition.
    guess i'll just have to live with it then :)

8. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

what I don't understand is why the same program only takes up about 831Kb on my other machine running Windows XP with a 80gb barracuda disk

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It has to do with the cluster sizes. If you can get hold of Partition Manager, you can change the cluster size and recover some of the space

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice