1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive for boot 10k rpm or sata III?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonlandstrom1, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonlandstrom1

jonlandstrom1 Thread Starter

I need to get a Boot hard drive for my computer. I want a hard drive and not an SSD.

It looks like I can get a WD Raptor with 10,000 RPM speed, but SATA II

or

I can get a 7200 RPM drive with SATA III.

My motherboard has SATA III.

Question: Which would be faster for booting and applications (not going to store data on it)?

10k @ Sata II

or

7.2k @ Sata III

2. pip22

pip22

I would go for the SATA III drive as it's theoretically twice as fast for transfer speed compared to SATA II. That will (potentially) lead to much better performance than the 10,000 rpm will give you over 7,200 rpm.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Mechanical drives cannot sustain read and write speeds beyond what SATA II can offer just yet, they only benefit from having faster burst speeds. Hard drives are limited by the internal moving parts, so a faster spindle speed is beneficial.

Are you also opposed to a hybrid drive such as a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid? It's a mechanical drive with a small SSD, best of both worlds.

The current Western Digital VelociRaptors(10,000RPM) are the fastest mechanical drives available, and the latest versions have bigger caches and they even have a SATA III interface for those ultra fast burst speeds.

Older SATA II Raptors and VelociRaptors are not really worth considering anymore, the newest 7200RPM drives can keep up or outperform them now, not because of the SATA III interface but for the same reasons the new Raptors are faster than the old Raptors; newer technology and faster processors on the drives.

If those are still too pricey than higher end drives such as the WDC Black Edition drives are also quite fast, and pretty much any modern drive will be faster then an older drive due to advancements.

VelociRaptor review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd1000dhtz-review/5

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice