harddrive full but other section not used

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gilbertsonb

i put a new harddrive in some time ago partitioned it and now c section is full but d section has little if anything on it how do i transsfer data from c to d and get the computer to use d section as default

The computer will boot from the C: drive, but you can easily move <I>data</I> from C: to D:. If you want to move a <I>program</I> from C: to D: you will have to uninstall it and then reinstall it on D:.

Whenever you save data in <I>any</I> program, you have the option to save it wherever you want. Even if the program is on the C: drive, you can still save any data to a folder on D:

S

Slithy Tove

First, you must be very careful what you move from "C" to "D" - programs which have been "installed" on "C" will not run if you just move them to a different drive/partition. You would need to un-install them from "C" and re-install them on "D" in order for them to work properly.

Pure data files can be moved without any repurcussions (except that the application MRU's will be incorrect until you have refreshed them - the "most-recently-used" lists which many applications have maintain the names and locations of the files which you have opened recently). You can move data files fairly easily with Windows Explorer (for safety's sake I recommend a copy operation first and when it completes successfully then delete the original files).

If you are also thinking of deleting any files which you do not recognize or which you think are not important I would recommend that you always move these files to a different disk for a while before you physically delete them. You just want to be sure your system will still run OK without the files you think are unimportant.

Regarding making "D" a default location... that is up to each application you use and/or download operation you perform. Most apps have a "default" directory option somewhere, and you can set that. Download "target" folders are also generally (but not always) remembered by the system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online