1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive going bad? S.M.A.R.T. results

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newuser12345215, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

I'm using this Seagate HDD that I've bought and been using for around 6-7 months.

I tested my HDD using Speedfan and Seagate's "Sea Tools". In terms of Sea Tools, I did the "S.M.A.R.T. check" test and it returned a "fail". I also did "Short Drive Self Test" and "Short Generic Test" which passed, haven't done the long test yet though.

SpeedFan's results(I bolded the ones that are "normal" and below):

Just wondering if the test results mean it'll go bad really soon or I have some time.
    The only thing that seems to be below average is "Hardware ECC":
    I don't know how important that is, the rest are normal and good and speedfan says performance and fitness is 91%.

So I am wondering if "Hardware ECC" being below average would mean that it'll die very soon or not?

Also what types of other tests can I do to check my HD?(I vaguely remember something about a Windows data sector checking tool or something, what is that called?)

Edit: I have another question, using speed fan there are 5 temp sensors found. "Temp 2" and "Core" can go up to 60C+ while I am playing video games, is that too high? I don't know what Temp 2 is(maybe video card?).

Temp 1, 3, and HD temperatures are fine but 2 and Core can go up 60C+.

In terms of my computer hardware, they're mostly about 4-5 year old stuff:
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, ~1.8GHz

So is the temperature (60C+ while playing games) too high?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

All HDDs eventually go bad. I'd say you just need to make sure in any circumstance you have a backup copy of any data you don't want to lose when a HDD goes bad. I'm not sure there is any test you can apply to hardware that accurately determines when a drive is stop working.
    You can have a spike in the electricity in your home that can fry a drive tomorrow, or any other numerous amounts of environmental or physical occurrences that create problems.
    Back up important Data.
    If your looking for the exact demise of the HDD- I don't think anyone can accurately supply that. Could be 2 years or tomorrow. Jazz

3. Newuser12345215

Just wondering if the test results mean it'll go bad really soon or I have some time.
    The only thing that seems to be below average is "Hardware ECC":
    I don't know how important that is, the rest are normal and good and speedfan says performance and fitness is 91%.

So I am wondering if "Hardware ECC" being below average would mean that it'll die very soon or not?

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

How long has it been since you defragged your system? You might want to try and redo your tests. If your system is older you might need to replace your thermal paste on the cpu if you're capable of it, and as to the gaming side of things, systems run hotter than normal. Jazz

5. Newuser12345215

I defrag it about once every month.

In terms of thermal paste, I have never installed/uninstalled a CPU/fan before but I'll try following an online guide on how to do it I guess.

So, does anyone know what the "Hardware ECC Recovered " S.M.A.R.T. stat mean and if I should be concerned about my HD if the stat is below average?

I'll probably order a second HD to clone to, but I'm just wondering in case anyone knows what the "Hardware ECC Recovered" stat means.

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

7. Newuser12345215

I'm going to clone the drive to a new one.

In terms of cloning, what would happen if, in the process of cloning, the computer shuts down unexpectedly because of a power outage or something?

I have a surge protector but don't have a UPS.

Would any data be lost of both drives or anything bad?

I'm just wondering because a week ago, my power suddenly went out(my computer wasn't on at the time though).

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

At worst the clone would not be usable and you would have to start over. It should not hurt the original drive.

9. Newuser12345215

Thanks for the help guys, so I recently bought another of the same drive and cloned it over.

Anyway, I didn't do a SMART check with seatools right away unfortunately but after a day of using it, I notice that the fitness and performance of the drive(according to speed fan) dropped from 97/98% to 93%.

The "Seek Error Rate" stat also dropped from "Very good" to "Normal".

Seeing that performance/fitness drop, I did a SMART check with Seatools and it said "Fail", so either:

1. I'm having bad luck and got a not so good drive.

OR

2.. Seatools (and maybe speedfan) is wrong.

Also, for some reason, my Anti Virus scanner seems to "hang at a point" on this new drive. (I'm using Avast btw)

I scanned with my old drive(of the same model) two days before the cloning, everything was fine.

I tried scanning with my new drive(same model) yesterday but it keeps hanging at the same spot, when it's at about 25% or so.

I'll try using windows check disc. Also, where are the results of windows check disc saved too after the test is done?

I did a "check disc" with my old drive, it simply restarted after the test was done.

I didn't get to see the results, anyone know I can see the results of check disc?

Also, when speedfan turns on for the first time, it gives a bunch of messages saying "Address $2D appears to be WRITE ONLY", it isn't just $2D, it's other numbers and letters too.

I don't know what they means, does anyone who uses speedfan knows?

Last question - The new drive I bought from newegg didn't have a jumper so I used a jumper from an old CD drive that was no longer in use, is that fine or is there something that may go wrong if I use a jumper from a CD drive on a HDD?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A jumper is a jumper as long as it is the same size ie fits, it works. Next why are you using a jumper on a sata drive? The only use for a jumper on one of those is to limit speed to work with old mb. If you have a sata2 mb, then no jumper would be needed.

Speedfan is a fine app however it sometimes reports flaky info. Verify temps in the bios, then you can rely on speedfan.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785603