1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive grinding and grinding and gri....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tomo8281, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

Right, got a brand new pc 2 weeks ago. Been really lovely to me so far, apart from the HDD grinding..
    I've looked through the whole interwebs and a bit more but none on the solutions has helped me! I've disabled Super fetch and Windows search which helped a little. But i still hear grinding from my harddrive? is it just my case (ive removed the harddrive screws)?
    I've been looking into the Reliabilty and Performance monitor and it looks like Svchost.exe is causing the problems.
    Trying to get screenshots of it (in the reli and perfor montior) but for some reason its being quite quiet! Bah!

Light grinding
    [​IMG]

Semi grinding
    [​IMG]

Semi grinding 2
    [​IMG]

My system specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
    GPU processor: GeForce 8800 GTS 512 512mb
    Motherboard: eVGA 780i SLI
    RAM: 2 x 2gb OCZ Reaper PC2-6400
    Soundcard: Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    HDD: 750gb WesternDigital CavierSE16

Is there any other information i can give?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If "grinding" really describes the noise, you had better return it. Definitely get your important data off from it.

3. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

I've done a lot of tests, including SMART ones, the harddrive seems fine, everything was ok.

It would be really annoying to have to RMA it now..

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you sure that the noise is not just the normal one?

The search indexer runs whenever it can and would make the drive active when you are not using the machine. There are quite a few other "idle" tasks that are executed as well, such as System Restore, and the self-diagnostics and self-repair.

5. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

I don't know, it may be. This is meant to be a quiet drive! Lots of people have said you cant even hear it!

Maybe its my case? Do you know if there is anything i can buy that will stop the vibration?

P.s. forgot to mention when i take the hdd out of my case (wires still attached) it never grinds..

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

"ive removed the harddrive screws"

It may just be some resonant coupling with something else in the machine. Have you resecured the drive?

7. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Looks like Unreal tournament is overusing your HD for some reason. I am no familiar with it, but is it possible to disable it on start up?

8. Tomo8281

Tomo8281 Thread Starter

Na i just launched up UT3 there to show you guys the drive under normal use.

It was grinding before i removed the screws as well :\

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice