1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HardDrive help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lovsk8in247, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovsk8in247

lovsk8in247 Thread Starter

Im thinking about getting a bigger harddrive what my question is can i buy a new harddrive anywhere (ex. best buy) or do i have to buy it from my manufacturer (DELL)

Another question is there a way i can move my files(ex. downloaded movies) from an old drive to a new one and how would i do that

and is there a way i can just have one drive instead of two in the same computer because i just want one (120GB)

heres my computer stats if you need more info about my computer please ask
    Windows XP Home
    40GB harddrive
    256MB of RAM(going to be 512MB when my order comes in)
    verison 2002
    Service Pack 1
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    1.79GHz

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yes, you can format the drive to be 1 partition. Now from what you wrote, you machine is a DELL? You may void the warranty (if applicable) if you put in the hard drive. You can buy the hard drive anywhere you want.

Lastly you can keep the old drive connected as a slave and transfer the files to the new drive.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

As long as the original drive is not so old as to be a problem, you are better off keeping it. Add an additional 80gig drive then do yourself a big favor by keeping a good back-up of the main drive there. This leaves you with a good sized (but not huge) main drive. This is helpful buy making system utilities (defrag, chkdsc, etc) run faster. It also makes formatting/reinstalling the OS far easier.

4. lovsk8in247

Is there a website that can tell me step by step how to transfer files and partition it to 1 and how to set it up

p.s. i can have 2 harddrives in my computer? and do they go side by side? ohh and if i can have two harddrives would i have to get another cable for inside my computer to connect it?

5. lovsk8in247

which type of harddrive should i get a Western Digital? and how many GB's should i get for it 80GB? and where do i go i my computer to see whats the biggest harddrive amount i can have or my computer can hold?

i have a dimension 4500S from dell

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Sure you can have more than one hard drive. The cable you already have should work for both.
    I only suggested 80gig because of your mention of a total of 120. The limit on size is determined by the BIOS.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    800Gig? lol longhair I think you are looking too fast into the future :)

Western Digital is a good brand, Maxtor, Segate are others...

The BIOS can detirmine the size, so check with the manufacturer of the motherboard.

If you buy a retail boxed hard drive, it will come with instructions on how to install a hard drive. (it should tell you how to set it so you can have 2 drives in)

Lastly, you can have up to 4 hard drives, though since you have a CD-ROM device, it will go down to 3. The only thing I would like to warn you is that you should consider getting another cooling fan. Hard drives can be tempermental in hot conditions. I know my WD was acting weird because there was not enough air going into the case.

8. lovsk8in247

ok thanks to both of you

one last question if i do install a second drive should what should i make the master and which one should i make the slave? and what files should i have on which one ?

and how and what should i backup on my system if i install a new harddrive and how would the backups get from one harddrive to the next

9. lovsk8in247

if i get a second harddrive would the harddrive have to be the same as the one i have in my computer now?

10. lovsk8in247

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Usually you want to boot off the master: So, unless you are reinstalling windows, then just slave the new drive.

12. lovsk8in247

im kinda wanting to put windows XP home on the new harddrive and having the new drive boot and the old drive as the slave drive for backup

all i would have to do is install the new harddrive and put in my windows xp home install cd and put windows xp home on the new harddrive and it would boot from it? or is it not the easy?

13. lovsk8in247

im going to get the western digital and make that my master and put my windows xp and boot from that and have the old harddrive as a slave for backups

14. pjblevin

pjblevin

I've got a Dell with a pair of 40's......it came with a 40g hd, and then I bought a 2nd 40 (Western Digital) from Dell. I never did move my OS. I use the additional 40g hd to store all my stuff. If windows goes down, I don't lose anything. If you're buying an 80g hd, you should use that as storage, and keep the 40 for your OS. I just checked, and I've used up about 8g of space in my "windows" drive, and 9g (and climbing), in my storage drive.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice