1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jordan.hare, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jordan.hare

jordan.hare Thread Starter

I recently cleared my hard drive with the intention of installing a new system , previously i had two hard drives , an 80 gb for my system an older drive for storage , while trying to run windows it installed fragments on both drives . I removed the smaller and tried to install windows only on my largest . on reboot , my pc says " error loading operating system " i tried converting my hard drive from lba or normal , to large , but on reboot my computer froze at my hardware listings , please help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure what condition the drives are in now, but just disconnect the drive you don't want to use for now and install XP to the other. That will eliminate any problems with choosing drives and possible problems about getting the installer to use C: as the XP drive.

Reboot to the XP CD and remove all the partitions when the option comes up.

Reset your BIOS to default and don't change any settings.

3. jordan.hare

i have only one drive connected now , but i will try defaulting my settings , thanks

4. jordan.hare

what do you suggest i set my hard drive as when auto detecting hdd .. LBA , normal , or large

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably LBA, but Auto is all right.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's possible that there is still a boot sector on the other drive that is mesing things up. After you get XP installed, you should be able to reconnect the other drive, boot into XP, and then right-click Computer, Manage, Disk Management to remove all the partitions from that second drive and create new ones with an NTFS format.

If you have any problems booting after XP is installed and you have that second drive hooked up, we can use bootable CD's or a floppy to clear that second drive.

7. jordan.hare

Alright , I re-installed from the boot disk again , defualted my settings , and still after the next reboot after veryifying data , i get the " error operating system

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you saying that you get this error after booting from the XP CD, starting setup, and then this happens on the first reboot? When you say "boot disk", do you mean the XP CD?

Check your BIOS to see if there is a place to specify the boot device. And look at the boot order, too.

No floppies in the drive, I hope :D.

9. jordan.hare

my boot sequence is set to run my cd first becuase my installation isnt complete , it only rebooted once , then my hard drive , just doesnt wanna seem to run windows

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It should boot from the CD to start setup and then it should boot from the hard drive the first time it reboots after loading files.

If it boots from the CD the second time, it just restarts setup.

So, set the CD first and run setup. When it reboots the first time, stop it at BIOS, if necessary, and change it to boot from the HD the second time.

Did you see any place in BIOS to specify the boot device?

What was on that drive before? Was it working all right?

Do you get far enough to partition and format?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to switch drives just to see if the other will install OK. If it does, there may be something wrong with the 80. Try testing it.

Double-check the jumper on the 80. Sometimes there is a different setting if there is no slave.

Look for bent pins, and be sure both ends of the cable are connected. Is it master/slave or cable-select?

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

12. jordan.hare

yes ive tried defualting my boot sequence , made no difference . not the boot device , theres only an option for boot sequence and booting from a local area network

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Better try the other things. Sounds like a bad drive.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice