1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simpletown, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simpletown

Simpletown Thread Starter

I have a WD 250 gig ATA IDE harddrive.
    I installed WINXP and it recignizes like 137 gigs of it, I am wondering how to get the rest?

2. winbob

winbob

Simpletown,

The BIOS in your MOBO is limited to recognizing that as the MAX for a HD. See if there is a BIOS upgrade for your MOBO that will allow recognition of newer higher capacity drives. Check the board manufacturer's website.

3. old tek

old tek

Might have to get a patch pgm. that load's before windows...They fool the cmos and sort of translate for it sort of....the maker of drive used to ship the program's.. but now you have to ask for it check WD website

4. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

OMG this is the fifth time i have answered one of these ok listen and listen good XP has a limit of 137gb. ok so put on SP1 and delete the 137 gb partition then make a parition of 250gbs. SP1 supporst up 4 terabytes. i wanna test that with RAID :D. i'll need a fair few drives and a damn good PSU but i think it can be done.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A BIOS from late 2002 or better and XP-SP1 is what you need to recognize the full capacity of the drive.

6. Simpletown

Simpletown Thread Starter

Before I do anything drastic would I need to reformat on both options? I have SP2 and I will update my drivers as we speak.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When Windows installs it only can create a max 127Gb partition without Service Pack 1(or 2). Once its installed you can expand the partition with something like Partition Magic to the full size, after installing at least Service Pack 1. Or you can create a second partition on the drive using Disk Management in XP.

You can also use a third party utility to paritiion and format the drive prior to installing Windows XP (without SP1). These are usually free from the manufacturer of the hard drive.

This all assumes your computer's BIOS can see the full size of the drive. If it cannot you need to update your BIOS. After updating the BIOS you will still need to reinstall Windows, use Partition Magic, or create a second partition to get the rest of the space back.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice