Harddrive making a strange noise

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

damican

Hey everyone.. New here have a critical question!

I was in the middle of playing some game about 20 minutes ago and my harddrive started making a strange buzzing/humming sound. To confirm it was my harddrive I unplugged it, and turned the computer on. The noise was gone when I did so. So I have it back in and everything and it "seems" everything is running a lot slower. Things are locking up, ect.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what this problem is, and how long my HD might have left in it. I'll be monitering this thread so I'll try to reply fast.. Don't want my HD to die before I find an answer.

bonk

Banned
Howdy,

First are you sure it was your Hrad drive....if you are backup data now. Noise fron HDD is not good.

What Hard drive is it and how old is it?

damican

Western Digital, I believe!

And, when the noise started I promptly turned my computer off, and uplugged the HD, and turned the computer back on, then the noise stopped. Plugged it back, turned it on, and the noise started.

I do not know how to back data up. Is there a certain amount I can backup, or do I need blank CD's? I'm a little new to HD failure if it's the case.

bonk

Banned
Understood.......

You can put the data on CD .....depending on how much important data you have as to how many CDs you'll need.

There are programs that will take a image of your HDD...that means all data and the Operating System...I use Acronis True Image but there are others.

If you want to just backup files then you can just copy them to CD.

You can go to the Western Digital site and they will have a diagnostic tool you can use to test your Hard Drive.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Get the data backed up first. I would suggest immediately. The longer you wait, the greater the risk. If you have a CD burner, then get some blank CD-R disks. What operating system do you have? Did your CD burner come with any software? Have you ever burned CDs before?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online