1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Misreading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L0g1c, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my C:/ Drive reading the wrong amount of space that is being used, it is a 150 GB harddrive and it is partitioned in the following way. 39 MB /144 GB (C/: Drive) / and 4.64 GB which i believe is the recovery partition sent from dell for reinstalling. I have tested these with a program called tree size professional which determines the amount of space of the harddrive and were everything is placed. My first thought that the program was faulty even though it has never failed before but after testing it on other drives it worked perfectly. I then went to the C:/ drive to check each folder manually and it also confirms the amount that the tree size professional is stating. It states that only 120 GB of memory is being used yet when i click on my computer it was sating that i only have 2 GB of memory for usage.. so i am wondering were my other 20 GB Of memory have gone. I think that my hardrive is misreading or has some type of error. If anyone knows what i can do to fix this issue it would be of great help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You are confusing terms here. Memory and Hard Drive space are 2 entirely different things even though they may be both measured in GB. What place in My Computer is telling you that you only have 2 GB memory for usage? What OS are you using also.

3. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I am running vista 32 and its Harddrive space not RAM. the 144 part which is my main C;/ is telling me i am using 140 something Gigs when in actuality i am only using a 120 Gigs.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Give us the exact numbers, please.

5. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

Ok i have recently removed some space so ill check exact numbers right now
    When checking on my computer It states 16.2 GB of 144 GB so i am roughly using 128 GB according to windows.
    But when i check with my other program or even going into the C: Drive manually to check how much each folder it is it adds up to 107.5 GB of memory being used.
    Like i said i have tested this program on all the other drives and it gives me the exact numbers windows is giving me but on this particular drive it doesn't. leading me to believe it has too be windows reading something wrong.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When adding up the space used by reading each Folder do you have your Folder options set to show hidden files and folders? If not then you are not getting an accurate count manually reading the folders.

7. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

Yes i have checked all folders hidden and even system files there is no explanation for the 20 missing GB. The biggest file in my system files is my pagefile.sys which consist of 3 GB which i believe the tree size professional includes in its addition of the space on the harddrive

8. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

where are you reading the figure of 150GB as your hard drive's capacity?

you may find this utility useful TreeSize

9. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

LOL that is the program i use ....the one i have been mentioning all along. yes when you go and check disk manager it reads 149.01 GB broken up in the way i mentioned above.

10. Hughv

Hughv

You have a 160 GB drive, and you're getting the right figures.
    1 GB = 2^30 = 1073741824 bytes
    160 GB/1073741824 = 149.0116119384765625 GB.
    All is well.

11. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I'm confused how do you explain the program stating a different amount than the windows operating system? and why doesn't it do it for every other drive? because for every other drive it states the exact same number as the program.

12. Hughv

Hughv

The problem is that HD manufacturers use 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, and computers measure in binary, i.e., 1 GB = 2^ 30.
    This true for almost all drives and will be consistent for every OS. If you're getting different figures, it's a flaw in the measuring program.

13. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I want to know first were are you getting 160 GB drive its a 150 GB drive from when i got it and 2) when you saying there is a flaw in the program are you saying the tree size professional program? because if so please explain why this is the only drive to have this flaw and no OTHER drive does. I have used this program countless of times and it never has flawed before, and even when checking manually on the C; drive it comes out to the same amount as the program states.

14. Hughv

Hughv

There's no such thing as a 150 GB drive. As you know, you have a 149.01 GB drive, probably from a a manufacturer who uses binary measurement instead of the more popular 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes method. It's not unreasonable to round this off, but it leads to inaccuracies, which is why I asked for exact figures.
    I'm calling this a 160 GB drive because that's the usual standard, but 150 GB is also accurate. Don't blame me for the marketing practices of HD manufacturers.
    See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
    And see the link, "Consumer confusion".

What's the make and model of this unusual drive?

15. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I am not blaming you for anything i am asking you were you are getting your numbers from. even if it is a 160 GB drive that still doesn't explain why every other drive reads correctly and this one doesn't.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice