1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

harddrive on new acer aspire laptop keeps spinning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techhelp234, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techhelp234

techhelp234 Thread Starter

hey guys

im new here. i got a new laptop about 7 weeks ago. acer aspire 7740g-6969

i hadnt used it for a while because i didnt get an antivirus; i now have BD 2010 total security

im not sure what is causing the problem, but whenever i start my laptop, the harddrive keeps spinning. it slows down in between for a short bit, then speeds up again.

this happens even if im not doing much. like just typing this out here.

i have run a virus scan, there doesnt seem to be a virus.

any help would be appreciated. :D

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure its the hard drive you hear spinning and not the laptop's cooling fan? The hard drive spins at a constant speed, the fan would have variable speeds.

3. techhelp234

to be honest, im not sure at all. i tried to feel the rush of air at the back of the laptop (to differentiate harddrive from the fan), but i couldnt feel anything much. so i assumed it was the harddrive.

it just started back up, and i noticed a short, plastic click right before i hear the sound.

it keeps increasing in intensity then winds down to a stop, then back up again.

4. Triple6

First Name:
    Rob
    That would likely be the fan, the hard drive should not make speed up and slow down.

5. techhelp234

ty for that

is there any reason for me to be concerned about that?

only reason i think that its of concern is because it does it even when im not doing anything

and do u think i should defragment?

6. Triple6

First Name:
    Rob
    Well you can certainty defrag, but I doubt that'll have effect on the fan or change the utilization of system much.

Have you tried to bring up Task Manager, CTRL-ALT-DELETE and see if there's anything causing high CPU usage?

7. techhelp234

i have tried that, at most i have iexplorer.exe up when it occurs

ive disabled some of the useless programs on startup via /msconfig

atm, it says that my cpu usage is 3% and my ram is 30%

8. Triple6

First Name:
    Rob
    Those are fine values.

Another thing you can do if you are worried is take it to the place of purchase and ask them if there's an issue with, if others are seeing the same thing, or if they can just check it for you. You can also call Acer toll free and see if they know of any fan or drive issues with this model.

9. techhelp234

ty, i think i will give them a call

but thusfar, do you think theres a reason to be concerned? or is this just normal fan behaviour?

10. Triple6

First Name:
    Rob
    Each model has a different fan algorithm. What is normal for one model may not be normal for another model. This model seems pretty new and not too much on it, it may be normal for the fan to be always on, or almost always, but maybe there is a problem where its not cooling itself down as much as it should when the fan is on and therefore the fan runs more often then it should to keep the temps down. Or it could be a combination of the fan and hard drive spinning that you are hearing, hard to say with any confidence without seeing it in person or knowing the model first hand.

11. techhelp234

what do you think the appropriate course of action would be at the moment?

just to let you know, i did not purchase a 2 year extended warranty, just the manufacturer's warranty

12. Triple6

First Name:
    Rob
    The manufacturer's warranty would be fine for any issues now.

If you are worried then your first action should be to go to the place of purchase.

13. techhelp234

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice