1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HardDrive recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sweetdude200, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetdude200

sweetdude200 Thread Starter

Here is my problem.

I had windows 2000 Server on my PC and I had one disk (40 Gig) which was partitioned into 2 drives. C drive had the OS and D drive had personal files.
    I had some problem with the USB drivers so thought of installing windows XP to try to fix the problem. I inserted the windows XP CD and it said do I want to format the drive and proceed. At this moment I thought that this will format only my C drive and not the D drive and said yes. It din't really format the drive immediately rater re-booted the machine immediately. Once the machine came backup it copied few installation files and came back to the menu where it showed I had just one drive and it had 40 Gig free, my D drive was gone.

Now how do I recover the files on my D drive? All I can see now is the C Drive with few setup files copeid to it. Now I have no OS on my PC and I need the files on D drive back.

Please help. sweetdude2000 at yahoo dot com

2. Paiser

Paiser

okay installin xp is easy.

IF you dont have ANY OS right now then OF COURSE YOUR D IS GONE! Install xp again in what ever drive you want
    Then, finish installin the xp then everything should be back to normal... If not then you lost your precious data. Which im pretty sure that will not happen since. A driver just dont disappear like that. Nothin really can destroy a formatted drive by what ever program you used to create the drive, exept for nuke the drive. Which I hope you didnt done that. Well, Install finish Install your OS and it should be back to normal :D

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Do you have any kind of back-up for your data?
    or an imaging program like "ghost"?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice