1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FISHNJR, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FISHNJR

FISHNJR Thread Starter

I am replacing my hard drive for the first time and I need to know how to tranfer my data from the old to the new. I only have room for one harddrive in this machine.

2. deuce

deuce

What make/model do you have? You have only one 5 1/2 bay and one 3 1/2 bay I take it? Or are they taken? If they are you will want to temperarily take something out, like maybe the cdrom... you won't be needing that transfering data. If you only have ONE bay of any kind, then you can hook up the old drive to your IDE and lay the drive somewhere, but I wouldn't recomend it, especially if your computer is on carpet. You will need to install the new drive as the master on the primary IDE and the old drive as the slave on the primary IDE. Jumper the drives accordingly (the manual will say how and give the exact jumper settings for your drive). Then turn on your computer and you might want to go into your bios first to make sure the drive set up properly. (as in communicating with the computer) You do this by pressing del or F10 (or whatever... it varies bios to bios). If there are drives in both spots (primary master and slave IDE) then you are good to go. Insert the disk with the imaging software provided by the manufacture of your drive and exit your BIOS. From there, you just follw the directions on the screen, and all you need to do is sit back and push a few buttons every now and then. The software will load and ask somequestions, such as if you want FAT32. If you are using Windows 9x, Xp and all those, choose that one. Windows NT should be NTFS. ect, ect... every thing is explained on screen if you are unsure. You then decide on partitions and image the old drive to the new drive. (provided the new is bigger then the old) Then you can shut down, unplug and take out the old HD and put the device you took out back in, and everything will be just like before except more space. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice