Harddrive transplant

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Redeemer78

HI well i got a pretty annying problem right now.
Well my sister mobo went on her computer. I was able to salvage the hardrive and see if i could save some files on it. Well i got the harddrive successully installed and i could get to some of the files but i could not get to her documents on her profile. this is exacly where i need to go. when i click on it it says Access Denided i tryed swapping the drives out meaning taking my the old drive to see if it would just come up with her desktop but it went into a boot cycle. I need to get to her my documents on her harddrive. if there is a way around i need to know. PLEASE!!!!!!!

For me at least i am able to reach other people's document that is stored there. As long as you are the admin, just go to the hard drive/documents and settings/mobo (or whatever their account name)/mobo (account name) documents. Still something could stop it, so at least try it (likely you cant, as i found i could just open their document files from the my computer menu).

Howdy folks...

Redeemer78...

What operating system ae you using ?

If a NT based OS and using NTFS you can take ownership on the files and folders and then copy them over...

Redeemer78

hi i tried copying them over but that didnt work and dont forget that these documents are on a sepreate harddrive from the master drive.

crjdriver

Unless the files were encrypted, just take ownership of the file / folder. To do this you must be logged in as admin or an account with admin rights. Open windows explorer and go to the folder you want; probably a "my docs" folder. Right click and go to properties>security>advanced>owner now click the new owner and click ok.

If the files were encrypted, then you must boot with her drive / os to recover the files.

Redeemer78

Ok well I got into the profile folder but now i cant get into the my documents folder it says again Access Denied and i tryied pulling it into the shared doc folder but that didnt work and tried using the share prop. but again it says access denied. That is how i got into the profile folder and i dont know what crjdriver is talking about there is no proporties>security

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online