1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Harddrive Write Protection problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Azagnoth, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Azagnoth

Azagnoth Thread Starter

I installed a second harddrive to my computer (maxtor 80gig) I just plugged it in no software or anything. And when I try to copy files from it to my other harddrive it says its write protected and wont let me. Any suggestions?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Azagnoth, Welcome to TSG !!
    What Operating System are you running ??
    Which drive says it is write protected??
    Did you format the new drive or you have files on it already??
    Are the 2 drives using the same file system (NTFS, FAT32)??
    Did the new drive come from a system that was under Administrator rights??

3. Azagnoth

Azagnoth Thread Starter

Running Windows Xp home.. the maxtor is the one that is write protected.
    I didn't format the drive, I'm trying to get media files from it. The hd is under administration rights.. and they both are using NTFS

4. Azagnoth

Azagnoth Thread Starter

Can noone help me on this matter?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are files on the drive that you want to recover?

The drive has retained the permissions from the machine and accounts it was on previously. The permissions will need to be changed before it can be used on a different machine.

If you want to use the drive and there is something on it that you want to save, and it only restricts writing at this time, copy all that you want to keep off from the drive, remove the partitions, repartition it, reformat it, and it will then take on your account's permissions.

6. john@help

[email protected] Banned

hay you go to the ad hardware and install a hd or hard drive controller.
    yeah try that

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

PS.
    If that drive came from another machine and has permissions assigned to it from that machine, you can change the permissions (and make yourself or the Administrators group the owner of the drive) by following these directions (modified to suit your needs--when you get into the permissions, give yourself or the Administrators group full permissions):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

8. Azagnoth

Azagnoth Thread Starter

None of that helped me. That website that you gave me had an option that I dont have. It says to right click on the file and go to sharing.. then click 'Advanced' there is no advanced tab for sharing. And I am the administrator.. of both harddrives. It's just the maxtor has a account on it from my old computer. Is there some way I can take the password of that computer or something?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you read the article at that link, it tells you how to make the tabs appear in XP Home so that you can change the permissions of the drive.

From the link:
    "Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab."

You need to boot to Safe Mode and then go to Folder Options and disable Simple File Sharing. You will then have a Security tab on that drive and you can give full permissions to Administrator's or whomever you want.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice