Harddrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lily4312

Want to know if the hard drive is gone or if the motherboard needs to be replaced. When I turn the computer on, it tells me "Operating system not found on any device". And if it is the hard drive, do I have to get the Compaq Presario hard drive, that is what I am running, on my second comuter.

Thank You

lily4312

jiml8

Do you hear the drive spinning up?

How is your BIOS set; it needs to be set to detect the hard drive, and it also needs to have the hard drive in the boot path. Usually these things are done, but when you suddenly can't find your operating system, this is where you start.

What OS, BTW?

lily4312

I am running windows 98SE, as far as the BIO's I am not to familiar with setting them up. I know how to get to them, but I never changed anything in them. So how do I go about changing thing, or how is the BIO's suppose to be set up?

lily4312

jiml8

BTW is "by the way".

BIOS will have a setting for detecting IDE drives. Your boot drive is presumably the master drive on the primary channel (which should be how it is labeled in BIOS) and the BIOS should be set to "Auto" to detect that drive. If it is set to "disable" or to "manual" or to anything else, switch it to "Auto".

Then, someplace else in BIOS there will be a boot order list. That list should have your hard drive listed in it, probably in third position (behind floppy and CD). Make sure it IS listed and if not, put it in the list.

If BIOS is set to detect the drive and the drive is in the boot list, then something else is wrong and we can proceed to the next steps.

lily4312

Everything is in the right order for booting. Also when I place the start up disk in the computer to boot up it says "Window 98 has detected that drive C: does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. And when I try to run fdisk it tells me "No fix disk present"

lily4312

If fdisk is saying "No fix disk present", then your hd is probably kaput. In answer to your second question, no. There is no compaq Hard Drive. It probably has a maxtor or a wd in it. Any will work. When you get the new one, make sure it is a 7200 RPM drive and not a 5400 RPM

jiml8

Not so fast.

Where are you getting your fdisk from? There are a golzillion different versions of that utility, and you need to use the right one.

Does the BIOS detect the existence of the hard drive? You say that Win98 detects the drive but reports it doesn't have a valid partition. Then the fdisk says it can't find the drive.

Can you boot with a floppy into DOS and see if the C drive exists? It sure would be a shame to pitch a good drive, with data on it, just because the wrong fdisk gave the wrong answer.

Better yet, download a copy of knoppix (this is a linux distro on a CD), copy it to a CD, and boot the system with that. When it comes up, it'll tell you what the state of the hard drive is, and it has a whole bunch of tools that can fix the software architecture, if that is the problem.

lily4312

To jim18,

Sorry I just got back to my computer. I was using the fdisk that was on a created boot disk for the computer. I am now downloading knoppix.

lily4312

I can boot up with a floppy, and I type in c: and hit return and it takes me there, but when I do a dir/w on it it just says "Volume in drive C is MS-RAMDRIVE" and there is 15 files listed.

lily4312

jiml8

The CD version of Knoppix is 700 megs. If you have broadband you can download it in half an hour or so.

Your boot floppy is funky; it apparently is setting up a ramdisk and labeling that the C drive. This makes me suspicious of your fdisk. You need a more basic boot disk; no ramdisk, nothing fancy. Just boot into DOS and mount any drives that BIOS finds.

Again I ask: Does BIOS find the drive?

There is nothing wrong with the bootdisk. Bootdisk always sets up as the c drive as it takes preference as the boot device. Your hd and optical drives move one spot down the alphabet.

lily4312

To jim18
I am using DSL to download Knoppix. I tried using a basic boot disk and I did get to a place with choices, like "1-System hard drive recovery. 2-Reinstall win 98, formating the hard drive. 3-Format the hard drive first then install win.98. 4-Quit setup.

And when I start the computer while holding the control and F10 button it brings me to the Compaq set up utilities. Have not found the BIO"S , but in the set up utilities in the detect drive, it list the boot up with the floppy first, cd next and hard drive last.

At the (a) promt. I can type in c: and it takes me there, but it is not reading anything on it.

lily4312

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online