Harddrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thief300

I am trying to fix my friends PC. Apparently she didn't help keep the computer clean so all the dust built up inside caused the fan on the processor and the power unit to fail. In turn shutting down her machine. I put an ATX power supply on and bought a new fan for the CPU. I took the harddrive out and put it into my machine and the harddrive works, I could see her desktop. I put it back into her machine and it will not even power up. My question is.......Will the harddrive still power up if the processor isn't working?

A wire called "power good" wakes up CPU. Then CPU send out an order to start POST.
If CPU is dead, technically nothing will happen, not even a first beep.
However, individual power to the drives go directly from power supply unit, that might make LED come on.(or even turn the platters???)

TJ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts