1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware? boot problem with XP SP2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D4V13, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D4V13

D4V13 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a set of components from a reputable web site to combine with a graphics card and mouse that I already had, to build into a small budget system for my brother, and I am having some problems with the build that I was hoping someone could help me with:

the system hardware consists of:
    1 x Antler Supercase PC-115GR Beige/ Grey midi 350W USB2 ATX
    1 x AMD Athlon XP 2200 (266MHz) oem
    1 x Akasa AK785CU CPU Fan (Socket A to XP 3000+)
    1 x Asus A7V8X-X VIA KT-400 Duron/XP 8xAGP +LAN +snd +USB2 ATA133 (DDR400) Motherboard
    1 x 7-in-One Internal Card Reader
    2 x 256MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM
    1 x 120 GB Western Digital Caviar 8MB Cache 7200rpm ATA100
    1 x 17" Iiyama LS704U 0.28 1403 Monitor
    1 x Logitech Deluxe Access PS2 Keyboard
    1 x Lite-on SOHC-5232K 52x32x52 + 16x Combo Drive
    1 x Akasa AK-181BK-S Case Fan
    1 x ATI Radeon 9250 AGP 8x/4x 128Mb graphics card
    1 x Kensington scroll mouse
    1 x Stereo desktop speaker set

The software environment installed on the computer includes
    Nero Suite 1 CDRW/ DVD, Windows XP Pro and Office 2003

After assembling the PC and installing the XP operating system I downloaded and installed all of the available and relevant critical and recommended updates from Microsoft's update site, up to and including XP Service pack 2.

The BIOS is set to boot to hard disk first, then CDRom; all other bootable devices are disabled.

All connections to IDE devices, on-board cards and card reader are secure and correct.

The computer was running well up until yesterday morning, when it would not boot up, and my brother has only managed to get it up and running twice since then.

Now, when he switches the computer on, the lights on the keyboard flash, the hard drive light flashes once briefly, the CD drive light flashes for a short time and then nothing happens, and nothing at all is displayed on the monitor.

As he has managed to get it to boot a couple of times (Windows says nothing is wrong), the only things I can think of that might cause this kind of problem are a possible fault with the power supply, or perhaps a memory compatibility problem?

Any suggestions or assistance would be most welcome

2. active95

active95

Most likely the psu. Yank out all the cards with the exception of the video , yank out the hdd's and cd ( power and data). It starts, then insert one card at the time and see where it stops. If it doesn't start, try using the jumper on the mobo to reset the CMOS and try again. Still doesn't power up, well it sure looks like the power supply doesn't it?
    Every problem that you have before seeing the windows splash screen it's a hardware one. I think installing the SP2 didn't have anything to do it. Just a coincidence.
    HTH

3. D4V13

D4V13 Thread Starter

Thanks for the interest

I managed to fix it by rebuilding the computer one step at a time, tracked to problem down to a dodgy IDE cable.

flashed the BIOS with the latest update and everything is back to normal

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice