1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Conflict - Soundcard or IRQ Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidedlin, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidedlin

davidedlin Thread Starter

The other day I bought and installed a new Aopen 48X12X40 CR-RW. At first the problems were many:

1/ Each time I booted up or closed down, the system would send dozens of "pip" signals through my speakers (52 at boot-up)

2/ My multimedia programs ceased to function (Winamp, WinMedia Player, MusicMatch...). When commanded to play either a WAV, MID or MP3 they began playing momentarily (2-3 seconds) and then immediately stalled with no further sound nor function

3/ System sounds no longer worked (Startup, error, shutdown, etc)

4/ Probably unrelated, but... The "48X" writer refuses to write at any speed faster than 12X (via Nero 5.9). The hardware does feature a "new technology" called JUSTSPEED that "optimises the recording speed of the drive in order to get the best quality for the produced CD"

I took my entire system back to the supplier, who informed me that nothing was wrong with the Aopen unit, and that the fault must be within my OS (Win XP Pro). An improvement, I guess, on his first statement - "your system specs aren't high enough".(I run a PII-400MMX with 384MB RAM, but the box specs suggest Pii-350 or higher with at least 32MB).

I went home again, suspecting an IRQ conflict maybe... I then tried the following:

* Uninstalled, then reinstalled updated versions of all aftermarket multimedia programs

* Checked through Device Manager to ensure no duplication or errors

* Disabled all TSRs, rebooted, and attempted to access soundcard via multimedia programs to no avail

* Uninstalled every piece of hardware I could on my PC before rebooting (and reactivating)

* Swapped the soundcard with the one from the kid's gaming computer (to no avail) - now using Zatech 2320, for which SysInfo says status is OK, driver is aztw2320.sys

* swore at the PC a couple of times to attempt to show it who was boss

The Aopen device is secondary slave after three IDE devices, and is jumpered correctly. There is also an external HP8200 CD-RW USB device that I tried disabling, but to no advantage.

At some point the first problem (the "pips) went away, but the multimedia programs still refuse to respond. And now the system sounds do play, but not if they are longer than 2-3 seconds in length.

I checked the IRQs - IRQ7 is shared (NIC, and PCI-USB), as well as IRQ3 (ComPort2 and ComPort3).

Before I pull all of my hair out, can anybody out there please enlighten me as to what may be causing these problems. It appears that the Aopen device is culpable in all of this because the problems started immediately after its installation (the problems remain even if I take this out and reinstall the old CD-ROM).

Many thanks in advance (sorry so long).
    David Edlin

2. Hairy

Hairy

3. davidedlin

davidedlin Thread Starter

Yes thank you, I have tried the Print Troubleshooter but to no avail. However, checking device manager in safe mode remains as another option to try - just what exactly might I be looking for in there?

Over the weekend I tried a few alternatives to reformatting my dearly treasured active partition and trashing the OS that I have spent months customising and adding bits and pieces to, with some rather odd results.

I disconnected my 40GB Barracuda. Then, using all the same hardware I loaded Windows Me on one spare 3.2GB Western Digital HDD, and when completed all sounds work perfectly. I then disconnected that. On another spare 4GB Fireball I loaded Windows XP Pro, and the same problem I was experiencing with the 40GB drive returned - could this be a common conflict somehow, between the Aopen CD-RW and Win XP Pro, or with my motherboard perhaps?

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmm..

It would seem there's some sort of conflict with the drive and Windows XP. You may want to try posting this problem in the Windows XP forum.

Have you tried going to AOpen CDRWs and downloading the latest firmware for that drive?

5. Hairy

Hairy

tell me why ..."I have tried the Print Troubleshooter"-------got trouble printing too?

you ask....."just what exactly might I be looking for in there"
    to which I said previously..."things that don't belong".....
    like more than one of things you only have one of, or things not there anymore

"could this be a common conflict somehow"......sure sounds like it.....got XP drivers for EVERYTHING?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is an update on the windows update site that addresses cdrw's you may want to install. I believe it is in critical updates but I maybe wrong. It has to do with CDRW's and their compatibility with WinXP

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice