1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puzzled geezer, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puzzled geezer

puzzled geezer Thread Starter

Hi i wondered if you could help me with a problem ive been having i recently reformatted my pc as i was having performance issues with games and the pc. to describe it properly everytime i load up an application or click on a web lnik or do even the most basic of tasks like closing a browser a window i hear a sort of whirring sound from my pc. im guessing this is the processor processing what i want the pc to do but after reformatting the noise was less and applications seemed to open faster and now about a week or two later the noise of the processor has increased and the dleay time between opening programs has increased almost back to how it was before i reformatted. i have tryed almost everything else so could only guess it is a hardware problem im sure i dont have any malware on my pc so is it a hardware problem this is why im looking for a good hardware diagnosis tool. i really need help on this matter and i am tearing my hair out with the stress many thanks in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

I would think the "whirring" sounds would come from things that spin, like fans or drives. Difficult to say if it has anything to do with your problem so just some general comments. Make sure the inside of your system is clean and all fans are working correctly. Overheating is possible. Your HD manufacturer's web site will have a test utility for the drive and Memtest can be used to check your RAM. These will give you a place to start.

3. puzzled geezer

well to be honest i think a better way to describe it is a grinding noise whenever im using the pc and i dont really know how to download memtest as im a bit of a n00b and not sure which link to click. i have checked my pc manufactures website and cant find the hd utility. thanks so much for your help on the matter

4. replay

replay

yeah........like norton says, it sounds like your cpu fan is working overtime to keep processor cool....take the side of pc case and clean all the dust out with a can of air

5. puzzled geezer

i dont mean to be a pain or anything but im guessing i have to remove the casing on the tower and clean the dust if you dont mind me asking whats a can of air? sorry i guess im just an uber n00b

6. replay

replay

the compressed air in a can...........and yes take the side on the computer

7. puzzled geezer

well i dont have one in the house at the moment is there anywhere in particular i can get ine of these? also is their any alterbative method or is this the best way to go about it? ive never opened the case of my pc before so hopefully i wont break anything.

8. norton850

norton850

All cases are different what kind of computer do you have?

9. puzzled geezer

well im sure i can get the case off im just not sure where to purchase the can of air from and do you have a roundabout price for one of these?

10. norton850

norton850

Not sure if you are in the States, but cans of compressed air can be found at office supply stores like Staples and Office Depot, Photo stores and probably Radio Shack and Walmart. They're cheap. If you take your cover off and it doesn't look too dusty, try just running the computer with the cover or side cover off and a small household fan blowing in.

11. puzzled geezer

i took my pc to anearby computer shop as they were doing a special offer on on dust cleaning it runs better now but sometimes still hesitates but ive had it for about 3 years so i guess thats age showing thanks a lot for your help and im from the uk btw lol

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice