1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Diagnostics....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumababa, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

I had a post going in the security thread until I realized it wasn't a virus problem... it was a hardware problem. Could anyone give me some advice or possibly a link to a diagnostic tool that would help me solve my problem.

Windows 2k freezes at the splash screen so I can only run my computer in safe mode. This leads me to believe it might not be a critical piece of hardware that's acting up.. maybe? Anyways, I haven't altered any of the hardware recently. This problem just sort of popped out of the blue.

Thanks in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Have you tried the last known good configuration option? I'm guessing that Win2000 has that.

3. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

I have but it only gives me one option to choose from. No help there. I'm assuming that because my computer seems okay in safe mode it must be a problem with something peripheral.. ie not the processor. Is that accurate? Let me know.

4. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Ran a diagnostic on all the hard drives to. No luck.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Cut back to 1 hard drive, psu plugs, 1 stick of ram and video card ...remove every other pci card and all usb and/or 1394 devices and see if you can boot. If you cannot, then it's the hard drive.

6. Kelsen

Kelsen

When I saw this on a W2K box, it was a defective driver. Remove non-essential devices from Device Manager, one at a time, and try again. In my case it was for a specialized serial COMM device, and behaved exactly the way you describe.

7. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

So what you're saying is that one of my devices drivers has gotten corrupted? I did have
    a problem with a couple of viruses a while back. Am I on the right track? I'll try what
    you prescribed and get back.

8. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Uh oh. Something's up...

I tried to boot up this time and got a blue screen with the following written on it:

*** STOP: <bunch of numbers here> INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again , follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Refer to the getting started manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors.

I ran a burn in test on my main system drive(It's a Maxtor) and the drive came up fine. Any advice?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have an unusual new idea.....
    Cut back to 1 hard drive, psu plugs, 1 stick of ram and video card ...remove every other pci card and all usb and/or 1394 devices and see if you can boot. If you cannot, then it's the hard drive.

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Which advice did you follow to get to this new blue screen?

11. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

I hadn't yet followed anyone's advice. I'm going to try disconnecting everything right now as Rich suggested(Twice! Sorry man.)

12. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Just tried unhooking everything but the bare essentials and it's a nogo. I get the blue screen of death. Argh. If powermax(Maxtor's hard disk utility) can't find errors in the disk then I'm assuming it's a virus. Am I on the right track? Let me know if you have any ideas and thanks in advance.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

That sounds like a bad hard drive...and I don't put much faith in those hard drive utilities either.

14. Tumababa

Tumababa Thread Starter

Yeah. The damned thing doesn't work but the utility says it does. It makes me think that Maxtor just doesn't want to give me a new one(I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty).

Well.... Do I have any other options than a low-level format?

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Send for an rma, if the drive cannot get into XP and can only boot to safe mode, then that drive isn't working right and it makes sense because it is much more difficult for a drive to boot fullinto Windows than it is safe mode.
    One other thing you can try though is have you gone into safe mode and done " Run msconfig, OK Startup" and unchecked every startup item and tried to boot?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice