1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Diagnostics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ishanruwala, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishanruwala

ishanruwala Thread Starter

I've had some blue screen errors in the past and I wanted to run some diagnostics on my hardware before I play any games on it. I ran the dell diagnostic tool that came with my pc, but it requires user input for the video card test. A lot of the questions aren't straightforward and so I could have gotten error due to this. Should I just run a third-party test instead? For the memory test...should I just run memtest86?

Also, when updating my ati catalyst drivers...is it okay to just install over an older set. I attempted to do clean install once, but ran into a lot of problems.

2. ishanruwala

ishanruwala Thread Starter

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Download and run WhoCrashed to analyze the memory dumps created when your system crashed and bluescreened, this will give you an indication as to what caused the crashes.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have some problem that makes you think a diagnostic is needed?

Catalyst can usually be installed right over the previous version. Uninstalling the old is only necessary in some cases if there are problems updating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice