1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware for Linux software raid 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by springbrk2005, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. springbrk2005

springbrk2005 Thread Starter

What are the bottlenecks that slow software raid down in my planned system?

I'm in the process of building a media server.
    Goals: Fast average write speed to hard drive, at least 140 MByte/s.
    OS: MythBuntu or something similar like MythTV, definitely Linux.
    processor: AMD 64 4000+ 2.41ghz, 1 gig ram, with plans to upgrade the ram to 4 gigs.
    Vid: dual nvidia 7800, but I don't use sli (ie wasting 1) bc I want to use 2 video outputs, which does not work with sli enabled (MoBo limit). I may upgrade, if necessary.
    The primary use of this storage is large files 400Mbyte to 10 Gbyte.
    I would like to use 4 or 5 to 7 Hard drives in a raid 5.
    My motherboard has 5 sata2 ports, and supports fake raid. But I think software raid will perform better.
    I'm planning on either using 4 or 5 drives, or getting an sata2 pci card and putting 1 or 2 more drives for a total of 6 or 7. placing 1 or 2 drives on the pci card depending on bandwidth of the card.

The primary use for the higher speed will be to transfer a large quantity of movies from dvd to the HD, with 3 or more DVD drives reading at full speed. 3 internal drives, any additional drives will be exterior.

I have read through a lot of websites on raid drive setup, but most of those sites are using much slower/smaller drives than I chose (mine are simply newer). This is making it hard to estimate the performance bottlenecks.

I chose software raid as my drives are fast enough that only really expensive hardware controllers will be better, (ie cheap hardware controllers would be slower than software raid)

Hard Drive: 2TB WD The hard drive I picked out is Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARS 64M Cache. I think the speeds for this drive are about 80 - 100 MByte/sec for sequential read & write.
    I chose this drive due to cost and noise concerns, and I have already purchased 2 of them.
    I will be increasing the timeout for Intellipark to greater than 20 seconds, maybe a min or so.
    I will also be enabling Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) with software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice