1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware (Main Board Setup) EXPERT needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Someone has asserted certain things to me about the BIOS setup on boards with certain hardware connected. Frankly, I have never heard of such as he told me today and of three professional techs I have talked to so far, they haven't either. I am not going to repeat what he told me because don't want a discussion of the nuances of various configurations. I just want to see if I can find anyone else who has this "common knowledge" (as he put it) that supposedly applies to all systems complying to the AT standard.

Experts only, please, need reply.

I have a mouse on com 1. I have com 2 enabled with IRQ 3 for occasional use with a digital camera. The PS2 mouse port is enabled. I also have a PCI modem on com 3, IRQ 11. There are no conflicting IRQs.

Can anyone tell me if there is some significant "common knowledge" that goes "way back" in computer setups that one should know about this setup that might cause the computer to be unusable?

If so, can I find documentation of this anywhere?

2. bentbike1

bentbike1

1 define unstable 2 is the mouse a seiral or ps2 3 what if any are the error messages if you are getting error messages lok those up on microsofts data base usually the bios has nothing to do with satbilty check out the mbo web site there could be a bios issue genraly speaking it usually the os that causes problems and bad drivers

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

bentbike1 - if the mouse is on COM1 it must be serial.

If this is true, the three things you have told us about are perfectly fine. COM1 and COM2 were made to be used together. A third COM port, on a different IRQ is perfectly fine. Were it sharing an IRQ with COM1 or COM2 that would be different, but you have said it is not.

Considering that PCI slots have only been around since the Pentium was invented there is no way that something about an "unstable" situation could go "way back" - unless way back is just a few years. To me, way back would mean back into the 386 or 486 days - but again, PCI didn't exist then. So, if there is something from back then, it wouldn't apply anyway. But even back then you could have 4 COM ports with no trouble as long as they were on their own IRQs.

Whoever this someone is either doesn't know what they are talking about, or is confused about something you told them.

In either case, there are plenty of other things that can cause trouble, as bentbike1 said. Whatever the problem is, it isn't because you have 3 COM ports running.

4. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the reply.

The person who told me this ridiculous thing is in the computer business and runs a major computer store and repair center in my area. However, when it comes to hands on experience, either he doesn't know his stuff or he is blowing smoke.

The problem I am having is with a board bought from him six months ago and it carries a one-year warranty. The system is locking after 15 to 30 minutes of non-use. All power management is disabled in both Windows 98 SE and in the BIOS. This is a recent problem so there was a point in time it was working properly.

All peripherals have been removed. Video card was changed for another known-good card. Memory was replaced. Processor and power supply was also replaced. All of this was done by me in the process of diagnosing the problem. There is nothing left but the board and now this idiot is telling me the system is locking because I have the PS2 port enabled and a mouse on COM 1.

********!

He refused to test the board or return it for replacemnent. So, I told him to set the BIOS the way he recommended and I brought it back to my shop where I turned it on and it locked after about 15 minutes.

I'm gonna' be in his face again this morning when his store door opens in about an hour and a half.

5. Rockn

Rockn

He is full of it and you can tell him I told you so. I use external devices all th etime connected to COM1, 2 and ahve a PS/2 mouse installed....PS/2 uses IRQ 12 so it's not an issue. I would suspect heat as being your problem or an underpowered system. I would see what size power supply you have and if you have an Athlon I would make sure they set up the heat sink correctly and that it is seated correctly. Athlons tend to get broken if people don't know how to install them correctly. If you could post your configuration that would be great. I would take the whole thing back and get my money back or fry it so he has to take it back.

6. Alex Ethridge

I purchased the main board, the memory and the processor from his store as an upgrade for one of my on-site-service customers so he is saying that he will not work on the "system" because he didn't build it.

Frying it is not out of the question at this point. It would be the second time in my seven years working on computers that I had to do it to get the dealer to make good on a warranty.

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

I can understand his not wanting to work on the entire system, at no charge - after all, it is true that he did not build it.

However, he should be willing to hook up the 3 parts he did sell you (MB, CPU, RAM) to a power supply and video card of his own and let it sit for half an hour to see what happens. Of course, this is assuming that your lock ups are NOT happening in Windows.

If the system works correctly in DOS mode (or better yet in CMOS) then it may well be a software issue.

But if, after 20 minutes of sitting in CMOS or running some DOS based diagnostics (like DocMemory) then he will have to admit the problem is his. Well, I guess he doesn't have to do anything, but he certainly should.

I just mentioned a program that some people may not know about - DocMemory. A very nice, and very free, RAM tester. You can get it here:

http://www.simmtester.com/

8. Alex Ethridge

The problem happens only in Windows--Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows 2000.

He shipped it back today--at my expense. Some warranty!

9. bentbike1

bentbike1

i have found out the hard way just because some one opens up a shop means nothing computers like cars requires that the owner know something as well it is very hard to diagnose anything on line how ever there are a few online services that can help some will charge a bit try this web address www.techsupportalert.com but first go to the mbo manufactures web site and see if there are any issues concerning your problem it could be that the bios has a bug in it and even windows so first off update your bios have some one who is more experienced and back up all of your data also go to www.techtv.com search around for software that is used in diagnostic like wintune also go to www.cnet.com/downloads and look for some sort of utility program also mcaffe has a web base diagnostic program keep a print out of the reports if the show some hidden problem if there is a problem and it is like in the bios then the mbo manufacture is responsible but usually you have to go thru the dealer so if he fails to do anything take him to small claims court in your state and sue for damages that you have incurred

10. LarryCore

LarryCore

Tough call then. If it is only Windows it could well be a driver issue. The fact that it happens in 98 and 2000 makes me think it more likely that it is hardware though - one or the other, software. Both though? Not too likely, unless someone wrote a really bad driver.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice