1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Malfunction/ Parity Check

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MilerTime, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilerTime

MilerTime Thread Starter

I've been having troubles with my dell m1210 laptop. I was trying to open a game one time and before the game even started it said my graphic card didn't have enough memory required (128mb it said). I run a Geforce go 7400. Anyways soon after loading up the game everything just came to a stand still and my system went into blue screen mode and displayed a memory hardware malfunction/ parity error (I included shots of all of this). When I restarted my system their were vertical white/gray lines down all the startup screens (Pictures again). It didnt start up the first time. When I went into recovery options the lines went away, i did a full system restore which erased all my graphic drivers and the problem went away but thats becuase I had no graphic card installed (It just stated I had a vga controller graphic card or whatever.)

Ok cool, so I went and downloaded a older driver becuase I thought the new one was just messing up. It installed fine I restarted and as soon as I had the driver in the lines re appeared again, loaded windows fine this time though and no lines once in windows. I tried running the game again and same thing happened, I was able to load the intro movie fine, but by the 2nd or 3rd intro movie another small box full of lines appeared again and crashed back into the blue screen mode saying its a parity error.

I've been reinstalling and switching around drivers for a couple of hours, every time I re install a different driver I can boot it up but as soon as I enter a game it doesnt matter which one it boots back into blue screen after a couple minutes and im never able to get back in until I re install the driver.

Im pretty much out of ideas, maybe overheating? I've included all my shots to the topic. Oh, and one of the times I re installed the driver i was in device menu and it gave a code 43 for my graphic card, not sure if that helps or not. I've had this problem before and re did a complete system install but I never ran games after it to see if it fixed the problem or not until now.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Time to call Dell. Memory problems are always sporadic- sometimes it appears and sometimes not. Since you got a screen shot that says memory error, that should get the repair process started.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check that the card is firmly in its slot. This sounds very much like a heat problem since it gets worse when the card is stressed. If there are other cards near the GPU that can be moved to improve circulation, try that. And make sure the onboard fan (if any) is working.

But a system memory check would be a good idea, too.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice