1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware+Network problems on win98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nemlah, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nemlah

nemlah Thread Starter

Ok here is the problem my pc was working real fine till i decided to add a network card. During the installation i was prompted for the win98 cd which i didn't had that time so i canceled the installation and removed the card from my pc.After rebooting i received the message that microsoft network couldnt start , which didn't worry me too much since i could explain it due to the canceled installation . After that though and every time i boot my pc (or a connection to the net!! is established ) i receive the new unknown hardware message is found, and i have to cancel it since i havent add anything new.
    thanks for your time
    btw after the unknown hardware message i checked the sytem properties and no there is no problem..

2. Dan O

Dan O

If it has not been 5 days since you installed the card and then removed it you can install a backup copy of the Windows Registry. Use SCANREG /RESTORE

If it has been longer go into Safe Mode and delete the NIC. Then reboot.

3. crabman

crabman Guest

when you install the nic card you have to go back and forth from windows\system and windows \options\cabs and windows to get the drivers to install when it prompts for the windows cd just cancel it and select the areas i wrote.if it is an smc nic card type in smc1211 this will load the drivers for the nic card

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice