1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hardware not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tdeg, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tdeg

tdeg Thread Starter

Have three problems which I suspect may be related. Cannot open Quicken files although can produce reports using data from these files. Ran scandisk and defrag on C drive. Now USB-connected HP scanner won't operate. Message is 'scanner not found'. Removed and reinstalled software, no change. In addition, in device mgr, have '!' next to Iomega Zip drive SCSI controllers. But I did a backup on a ZIP disk which apparently went OK. Can acess other files, run Word, Excel, etc. In device mgr, have a listing for scannercontroller, HP Parallel Adapter. This may have always been listed, not sure.

------------------
    sam

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

How is the ZIP drive connected to the computer?

What OS is this?

How are you producing reports without using Quicken?

Are there any other ! or ? in Device Manager?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

3. tdeg

tdeg Thread Starter

I have an internal ZIP drive. In sysyems info, it says Iomega parallel port zip interface, SCSI adapter and Iomega clik! parallelport interface, SCSI. Code =10(0xA). Operating system is Windows 98 second edition. I now have my scanner in operation, used HP on-line support. I can usually open Quicken and when it is open I can move aroundto different accounts and can create, customize reports. But I cannot open any account, the computer immediately locks up.

------------------
    sam

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Ok, Quicken certainly sounds like an internal software issue. So, lets leave that one out - please feel free to post a question about it (with all the details you gave above) in the Application forum.

As for your ZIP drive. You said it is Internal, but in Device Manager you are showing a Parallel Port ZIP and SCSI parallel ZIP.

Do you know if the ZIP drive is SCSI or IDE? First thing I would try is to remove all Iomega devices in Device Manager and reboot. If the drive is working ok, it may be that the ! are not actually a problem. They may simply be leftovers from some software installation that has nothing to do with your drive. That would explain why the drive works.

So, delete the ! entries, reboot, and see if the ZIP drive works.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice