1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hardware not recognized.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I recently installed an update for my CD-Writer and now plug & play is not recognizing my CD writer and my CD-Rom is showing up in my computer as D drive but not responding. Not sure what my next move should be. Can't install anything because CD-Rom is not working.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Did you jumper the new drive correctly? If it's connected to the same cable as your CD-ROM it should be set up as slave.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Yes the jumpers are set to slave. The Cd-writer is not new. I've had it for over a year now and has always worked ok. This just started since I downloaded the new update from the HP website.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Was it a firmware update?

5. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

6. Randy48

Randy48

Lola, did you install a new drive or just flash the firmware on the old drive?

If a new drive check the jumper as Rockn has said. If you flashed the firmware, you may have a bad flash or flashed with the wrong file!

You may also want to check the system setup. Some mainboard BIOS have a selection to "auto detect" drives, but you have to manually select it for it to find them. As it goes through and finds the drives, it gives you three options to select from for each drive, the correct drive to select will have a (Y) next to it, this is the one you want.

7. Rockn

Rockn

If you take the CD-RW off of the cable does the CD-ROM operate then? If it does the update probably trashed the drive. Try both devices seperately and see what u come up with.

8. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I did not install anything new. After I installed the new update my computer wouldn't start so I had to reset the defaults in cmos just to see the desktop. If I did flash the bios with the wrong firmware update, what can I do to fix that?

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I will try taking the cable off the CD-RW. And if the CD-ROM works does that mean the CD-RW is garbage?

10. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Took the cable off the CD-RW and rebooted. Now CD-ROM doesn't even show up in My Computer. Plus I now have all kinds of "!" with yellow background in my device manager and performance tab tells me that I am using real mode drivers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice