1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware or software?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StanKross, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

Ok I really need help with this,

I have at least 3 programs that aren't working properly, I don't know if it is a software or
    hardware problem, two of the programs are 3d apps ( poser and carrara ) and the other
    is macromedia fireworks, this problem happens when opening a file I previously saved.

In Poser I'll get a few vertices shooting out from the geometry, In carrera I get a generic
    I/O error and the file doesn't load, In fireworks I get an " unsupported format " error loading a native .PNG file,

as for hardware I recently upgraded my computer about two weeks before this
    started happening I'll list those changes shortly, as for software, at first I thought virus,
    but I've run 3 different virus programs ( AVG, Norton, Panda ) and my system is clean,
    I haven't made any big software changes lately, so I'm leaning towards hardware
    being the culprit though I'm really not sure,

For software I have windows XP MCE all current updates, All my drivers are updated

on the hardware end I upgraded from a ECS L7VM3 motherboard with a athlonXP
    1800+ processor 1.5 Gig DDR kingston ram and a 350w PSU to a ASUS P5VDC-MX with a pentium D 805 processor 2 gig DDR2 kingston ram and a 460w PSU.

I also have a AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 GPU, a soundblaster audigy 2 Soundcard, and a
    tv tunner card, installed

I have a few things I've been told it might be, but researching them just confused me more

I.e. "Running a x32 bit OS on a x64 bit system", though my research thus far has led me to believe that 32 bit programs should run fine on a 64 bit system.

"A conflict between the motherboard and my graphics card", This doesn't make sense to me my board supports my graphics card, and I watch my tv on my computer and haven't had any problems there. I've also encoded a few videos and again no problem,

"faulty ram" I'm going to check the ram tonight, I don't know enough about ram to Know
    wether or not it could cause this type of error. though I have resently up'd the default
    windows ram limit from 1.5 gig to 3 in the boot .ini

"Buggy hard drive" again I have no Idea how to check this one.

So there we go, I really need to get this fixed asap as my computer is my main source of
    income, Any help would be immensely appreciated,

Thanx, Stan.

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Hi there StanKross :)

Welcome to TSG (y)

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the programs?

3. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

Hey blink,

thanks for the reply

no I havent but I've had all three installed for months now and they all worked fine, It's just
    recently and all at once they started crapping out on me, I think the problem is something
    more globaly with my system then the actual programs themselves, If one program was
    buggy, I'd figure it to be the problem, two mabee, three I think theres something more to it
    I'm running a mem test now, to see if faulty rams the problem, if not then I'll do a reinstall,

4. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Hi again! :)

I would possibly not suspect fauly ram, but its good you're doing mem test. Its always good to rule out things. Anyway, i think a program reinstall is your best bet. If that doesnt work you can post a HJT Log in the Security Forum

Hope that helps abit more.

5. pshnfry

pshnfry

When you upgraded the hardware was XP re-installed or a repair install performed? Were all the drivers supplied on a cd with the motherboard loaded? Are there any bios updates availabled for your board which claim to address similar issues? (DO NOT upgrade bios unless there are valid reasons for doing so). Does your motherboard support the Pentium D without updates (see supported CPU's listed for your board at the manufacturers site and the documentation which came with it.)

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

pshnfry,
    If you read between the lines, you got the answer because the programs have been there longer than the hardware and this is a major hardware change which means, there will be casualties of a repair install. It's also remotely possible therewas no repair at all and it booted up which I have seen in rare cases.

7. pshnfry

pshnfry

I know, trying to get the op thinking and providing info rather than leave us guessing.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This is a very significant hardware changes that needs a reinstall of Windows and the software. You've gone from a single core processor to a dual core processor, I bet both Windows and the programs expect only a single processor. You're also going to have driver issues from the old drivers still residing in the system even though the hardware is not there anymore.

9. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for all your great input,

I've checked the ram..its fine rechecked to see if all my hardware was installed right...it was
    I think you guys are right, I'm going to do a reformat tomorrow and reinstall all my important programs, as It took a week for these problems to start after my upgrade, I'll be back in a week or so and let you know if that fixed it or not.

thanx again

10. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Make sure you save your important documents! :)

11. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

ok now that I got that out of the way, So I've reformatted, reinstalled all my progs and drivers
    and It didn't solve my problem, I actually reformatted twice first with XP x64 then back to MCE, I'm not sure what else to try, any suggestions?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Video card and then audio card are next...if you can switch out and try others....

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd try another video card. Windows x64 isn't worth wasting your time on.

14. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

Ok I was able to borrow a stick of ddr memory a video card and a sound card for the next three days, I'll install them and If I still have the problem than it will eliminate those three things if everything works fine I'll start eliminating each component until I find the one causing the problem.....well see what happens...thanx guys

P.S. Yeah Triple6 I learned that the hard way, windows x64 is certainly not an option, although I was able to find drivers for 90% of my hardware, and most of my programs worked ( only marginally faster ).

15. StanKross

StanKross Thread Starter

Please read the previous posts to get the story thus far...

I think my computers possessed....no matter what I try I can't seem to fix it

heres an update, I replaced the motherboard from a ASUS P5VDC-MX to a asus P5LD2, I replaced my video card to a ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, still had the problem, so I took my computer to a repair shop, they tested my connections, memory and hard drive, and cleaned up my system for me, and said everything looked fine but that Still didn't fix it, the only thing left that I can think of Is the dual core processor, does anyone have any suggestions or input before I go out and waste yet some more money.

Thanx, stan

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice