1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Problem or Infection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robhic, Oct 19, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    I am leaning toward some type of infection since I am on a desktop that doesn't move. When I type, it skips characters and causes misspelled words and missed spaces. I'll type something and NOT correct it so it's right:

I'm just tping alog here todemonstrate what my text looks like when I try to typ in a document or fill a form in an onine box. Can you spt where the problem is here? My typing is not that bad This machine ha a problem.

ETA:
    I went into 'safe mode' and tried to login and run the TSG program. Did nothing and missed words continued. I also could not get 'Malwarebytes' to start. 'Spybot Search & Destroy" ran but found nothing.

And this is what I got when I ran the TSG program to supply info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version:
    Processor:
    Processor Count:
    RAM:
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives:
    Motherboard:
    Antivirus: None

I have a 4 yr old Dell 'Vostro' running W7. I've really not had problems until today. As you can see the computer seems to have a mind of its own. How can I work-around to at least get the TSG program to run? This is making me crazy! Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to get a USB keyboard and try it, borrow one from anyone who has one and test it out.

There's no logical reason why a virus would cause thi but it's a pretty typical keyboard failure or potentially touchpad sensitivity issue, as such I'll move the thread to hardware for now.

3. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Not being argumentative but curious if bad keyboard could cause settings to change? Monitor was set to turn off after 15 minutes of non-use. Now it stays on. I also noticed a couple of other things like that. Programs slow to start, not being able to run the TSG program, etc.

So I'll go find another keyboard and give that a try. Thank you for your time and information!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The monitor not turning off is more commonly caused by something preventing it from turning off meaning some active process is keeping the PC awake. (A bad keyboard might do exactly this, including the interrupted TSG so it's not necessarily a software problem)
    You may need to disconnect the internal keyboard if the PC thinks some key is constantly being pressed and the secret on any Dell is to go to http://support.dell.com and type in your SERVICE TAG number which is on the same label as the serial number or express service code. It's usually on the bottom of the PC (sometimes you have to take out the battery to see it) and you should shut the PC down before you scribble it onto a piece of paper. The manuals and documents section will have a manual that tells you how to remove the internal keyboard.

5. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Bought a new USB keyboard, hooked it up, removed old keyboard, went to Dell as directed in post #3 above. Dell support software kept kicking me out for losing internet connection - which was NOT the case. Tried to get the TSG software to work which it still won't. Programs open sluggishly, performance (such as it is...) sucks and I now have an extra keyboard that doesn't work just like the original..

Thoughts?

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

So you removed the laptop's internal keyboard, connected a new USB keyboard, booted into Safe Mode, and the USB keyboard is still flakey?

7. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    I never got to the internal keyboard and this is a desktop unit I am using.. DELL site I entered service tag # and site kept telling me connetion was lost so I got nowhere with that. I went and bought a new keyboard, plugged it in (removed original keyboard) but there was no change. I didn't go to safe mode but the new keyboard produced no different results.

This morning programs starting slowly, getting pop-up boxes about programs and processes that I have NO idea of what they are referring to. Looked at Device Manager for some reason and noticed 5 Firefox (what I am using) entries (!!!) which might be to what you were referring as stuff running somewhere unknown causing the monitor to not sleep. I also can't open items in the Control Panel. It takes 3 times longer to type anything with the missed letters and this computer seems just screwed in a number of ways.

Thanks for your time and trying to figure THIS one out!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You still didn't answer what version of Windows it is?
    And, what is that SERVICE TAG number?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hence why I suggested borrowing one.

We do need to know exactly what computer you have.

Have you tried a System Restore to before this started to happen?

10. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Running W7 on a Dell Vostro 470 Service Tag # CW97YV1. I tried again earlier and got through. There were no instructions to remove an internal keyboard but about 100 on how to remove an external one. (Wouldn't you just unplug it...?) I also tried to get the TSG software to run - nothing. Thanks.

11. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    New keyboard not a big deal, it was $12 and now have a spare or to lend. System Restore has never worked. Either the W7 program is at fault or the computer but tech service said a complete delete and re-install from scratch so I said no, much too hard over the phone. Backup and Restore has never worked. Is there something I can do to try and get the TSG program to run? ETA: Various programs will not start or run. 'Control Panel' won't work same as the desktop programs.

I'll provide what data I have written down since the TSG app won't give up its secrets :

OS Version: W7 64 bit
    Processor: 3.10 Ghz
    Processor Count: ?
    RAM: 12.0 Gb
    Graphics Card: ?
    Hard Drives: 1
    Motherboard: ?
    Antivirus: None (AVG and Zonealarm) "none" is only info running the software provides.)
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There is no internal keyboard for a desktop, only laptops. We weren't sure if you had a laptop or a desktop since Dell Vostro's are both.

Personally I don't like AVG or ZoneAlarm. Both use to be good products that lost their way a long time ago. It's unfortunate that System Restore was already broken, it's a great tool to fix issues that just randomly pop up like this.

If you bring up task manager, and click the bottom at the bottom to show processes from all users, then sort it by highest CPU usage, what is listed for the top 5 processes? Then click Memory and sort it by the usage as well, what are the top 5 there? It woudl probably be best to post a screen shot of Task Manager on the Processes tab actually with them sorted.

13. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    AVG is getting bothersome as well as ZA. I'm wanting to dump both but haven't as yet and now Control Panel won't respond so I can't uninstall. I made 2 captures. One is 'processes' from Task Manager and shows 4 Firefox entries and another (not shown) named 'svchost' that is also in the same range.

Capture 2 is the 'Memory' use and it seems to be mostly Firefox, too. Email stopped working (I use 'Pegasus Mail' which is a stand-alone program) and I'm gonna work with AT&T on that.

I feel stupid as I cannot remember how to insert or attach the two files! How do I do that? Thanks!

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    At the bottom of the reply window, one of the buttons says
    Upload a File
    Click that.

15. robhic

robhic Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Thank you. I tried that earlier but it didn't work, it seemed. Maybe it is being impacted by all the other problems I am having. I'll try again.

Can't get that box to work. Clicked (again) and waited. Nothing. Oh well....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice