1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Problem Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Great One, Oct 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Great One

The Great One Thread Starter

I have just purchased a new Motherboard, CPU, Case for my PC

1 Gigabyte GA-7DX Processor
    1 Athlon 1.4Ghz Processor
    1 N880 FULL-TOWER ATX-300W CASE

After building my PC I discovered that the PC wouldn't power up at all (the fan for the power supply wouldn't even spin).

So what I decided to do is to go down to my local PC World and have them test the power supply (as well as make sure that i wasn't doing something stupid). After returning to PC World I then was told that they had swapped my power supply over with another power supply, but still nothing. Due to the problem not being the power supply the guy in the shop said I think it is probably the motherboard, so I then sent the motherboard back to the place I purchased it from.

The motherboard was then tested and results were 'After Testing Your Motherboard We Have Found No Faults At All, It Works Perfectly'.

Please Could Someone Assist With This Quite Major Problem

Many Thanks

Matt

PS Cheers For Taking The Time To Read My E-mail

2. brianF

brianF

The most obvious place to start is.

1. Make sure motherboard isn't grounding out to case when you install it.
    2. Make sure power on leads from case power button are connected properly to the motherboard.
    3. Make sure power connector to motherboard is secure.
    4. If power supply has on off switch on back, make sure it's on.

3. imustbeanidiot

imustbeanidiot

sorry if i'm being a bit obvious. When you connect up and turn on power use an avo meter to check the power supply unit either side. ie 110volts in----> X (amount) volts out. This will at least give you another test on the power supply to discount that and get to look at the next thing in line?[

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax

I'm not sure if your new mobo is set up the same as mine was from the factory but if it is you'll need to check your CMOS jumpers.

Mine was set to Clear CMOS Memory and it wouldn't do anything until I set it to Normal Operation. I can only assume this is done to prevent the battery from wearing out prematurely if the mobo sits on the shelf for a long time.

I've got a host of other problems with this, my first home-built, computer but that was the first one.

5. The Great One

The Great One Thread Starter

The Info You Provide is useful but has not solved the problem

Thanks Anyway

Matt

PS Any other ideas

6. brianF

brianF

did you check the standoffs that hold the motherboard away from the case, no shorting.

Double and triple check the leads from the power button to the motherboard.

Make sure you have voltage on the acline outlet, sorry it's happened.

Pull everything out except the processor, memory, and vid, will it start and post.

Remove the motherboard from the case and lay it next to the unit, hook up the power, with the memory and vid card connect, will it post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice