1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Problem - Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeperMessiah, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeperMessiah

LeperMessiah Thread Starter

Hey folks,
    Recently my CD drive hasn't been working, as well as my floppy disk drive (I don't use this much anyway but I thought I'd mention it as a symptom). I've gone into Device Manager and my CD drive has a red cross through its icon. According to its Properties, the Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo) has been 'dynamically disabled'.

After having looked at the properties for the Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo), the Device Status section says 'The device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drives installed (Code 10).'

I read somewhere else on the Internet that removing the Secondary IDE Controller (Dual Fifo) then restarting the computer would solve this problem. When I clicked on Revove for the Secondary IDE Controller (dual Fifo), I recieved a message which says:

'This device is part of a multi-function device and cannot be removed independently. To remove this device, select and remove the multi-device parent. This will remove any other devices that are part of the multi-function device.

Parent: VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller'.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to do this? I'm running Windows ME and although I do have the Windows CD somewhere, it's not somewhere convenient - it's probably buried under a pile of other CDs.

Thanks

2. LeperMessiah

Someone please help me out if you can, it's pretty urgent!

3. Flags

Flags

Leper: Go into your BIOS. Find the entry for Secondary IDE Controller.
    Use the arrow keys to select (highlight) it. Press Enter.
    Change the setting from disabled to AUTO, Or possibly ENABLE.
    Save the changes and exit the bios.
    The PC will boot and your problem should be gone.

4. LeperMessiah

Hey,
    Thanks but I'm not too sure how to get into BIOS - how do I go about this?

Cheers

5. Flags

Flags

If you have a Dell press the F2 key when you see the Dell logo.

Usually, either the F2 or the Delete key will get you into the Bios on most machines.

Watch the Logo screen when you boot up, the key will be indicated.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Add F1 to the group....let us know what pc and we can give you much better advice.

7. LeperMessiah

It's an Advent PC - when I first boot up it says press Delete to go to Setup (I think it was Delete anyway). Is this Setup the same as BIOS? I've been in to that and gone to options but nothing matches what you told me to do.

Cheers

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes bios and setup are the same thing.

9. LeperMessiah

I've got it sorted - nothing to do with BIOS though - by removing the VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller. When I did this, it removed the two IDE Controllers and reinstalled them next time I turned the PC on. This fixed the problem but only for one boot - ie, once I'd turned the computer off or restarted it, the same problem started again. Is there any way you could recommend to fix the problem once and for all?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Download and install the newest motherboard chipset driver.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice