1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware problem that leads to repeated corruption of windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_rox09, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave_rox09

dave_rox09 Thread Starter

PC Specs: AMD Sempron 2800+, 512mb DDR 2700 RAM, 60GB 7200 RPM HDD, Biostar K7 MB, Radeon X700 256mb AGP graphics card and a Windows XP OS.

About a month ago my computer started making a clicking noise now and then and would stutter a bit while I was playing my games. The click sounded like the big click while turning the computer on and off. I thought nothing of it but a couple of weeks later my windows became corrupted (it would only go to the black screen giving you five options to start windows and then would restart). I reformatted and it worked fine but the clicking remained. Then while playing a different game a couple of weeks later I got a click during a loading screen and the computer froze up forcing me to reboot. The computer would freeze at the same point in the load screen every time so I tried minimizing at that point. It finished the load screen and I got into the game but at the next load screen later on the problem happened again. I uninstalled the game and everything was working fine again but a week later while playing a different game that normally offers no problems at all, I encountered the same problem at a load screen in the game. After reinstalling my video drivers the problem remained. It locked up and I had to restart the computer. After restarting I got the black screen with the 5 options for starting the computer but each selection simply restarted the computer. So now I'm back to sqare one with a corrupted windows. I dont want to do anything more until I know for sure the problem but the clicking and the fact that a full reformat didn't help suggests that this is a hardware problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

It sounds like a messed up HD. See if you remove the cover from the macine, if you can hear it clicking (assuming you can get winblows to start). If you can't, remove the hard drive from the machine, and then reconnect the cables for it, making sure it is insulated from anything metal on it's electronics board, and then see if you can hear it clicking.

Ususlly, when they go like this, it is either the logic board on the HD, or the workings inside.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice