1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by surfnets, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. surfnets

surfnets Thread Starter

Hi,

I brought the extra hardware and the extra CD-Rom. I would install them on my computer. How do I clone (backup) everything from the normal hardware to another hardware. ?

Thanks,

2. KHAYMAN

KHAYMAN

Hi,

what hardware are we talking about here?

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

are you asking how to make an image of your harddrive for backup?

Is the hardware you bought a CD burner?

If so try Either

Norton Ghost Or Powerquest drive image

If thats NOT what your asking, then yes, what type of hardware did you buy and what are you trying to back up.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

please reply to the thread not privately as you never know when im going to log(as i am now)

ok..so you bought a new maxtor harddrive and have no place inside the case to mount it?

or did you buy a new hd and 3rd cdrom?

if you dont have a spot in the case to put a 3rd cdrom you may need a new case.

5. carltasha

carltasha

This must mean hard drive , then it makes some kind of sence .
    why would you want three CDroms ? ok one is a burner.

the new drive will come with software that will let you copy files and folders from the old hdd to the new one,but not programs, those you need to install from the disks .

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, if you use the software that came with the drive, you can copy everything to the new drive, including all of your programs..........It will work EXACTLY as your old one does now once you change the boot up order...........and/or disconnect/change the jumpers on the old one and make the new drive the Master.......

7. carltasha

carltasha

Im sure that the lady knows what she is talking about , . It seems that once again I am out of date.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

Surfnets, please reply to the thread and not via private messages as some of us(me specifically) are gone from the board for days at a time and someone else could give you the answer you need.

I am confused. What is a "rock"?

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I got a similar email, I think he means rack.......I suggested he go to a used computer parts store and they might have tons of them laying around (I know I do) and maybe just give him one........apparently, the rails didn't come with the drive like one would expect.

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

aaahhhhh that makes the whole thread make sense..lol. rock had me confused.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/102850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice