1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Searcher, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Searcher

Searcher Thread Starter

Running windows 98 se. Computer ran fine for 2 years. No glitches. Last week video had interference on it. Then the computer began to lock up. Did numerous reboots. Same result but the computer would stop at different locations during reboot.
    I ordered a new video card. When I installed it the video interference went away but the boot up problem remained. Did defrag in safe mode. No problems. Have disabled various hardware items...floppy...cd...printer..modem. No help. Is this a problem with the processor or mobo?

2. brianF

brianF

Make sure the processor fan is functioning correctly, overheating could be an issue

Also it could be a memory problem, try removing all but one stick, it that doesn't work, try the other or try some new memory

Also could be related to a power supply failing

3. Searcher

Searcher Thread Starter

processor fan working. power supply fan working. heat sink on processor not hot to touch. only have one stick of memory. Any way to check it?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Have you checked for viruses lately? Spyware? What do you have running on startup?

5. Searcher

Searcher Thread Starter

Abandoned Windows 98se installation. Have formatted the hard drive. Tried Windows Me. Got all the way to loading shortcuts on desktop and computer locked up. Tried reboot. Locked again after almost a complete boot. Did a reset. Computer went through scan disk with no errors. It then tried to Boot to safe mode. Locked up in safe mode. I also had another hard drive that I tried. Used the same procedure. Formatted drive. Attempted to install Windows Me. Same results. I'm wondering at this point is there a problem with the processor or the Mo Bo.
    The format should have eliminated any chance of a virus.

6. Romulus

Romulus

My guess would actually be the mobo.. But what kind of configuration do you have?
    Could you please list all hardware specs for us?

7. Searcher

Searcher Thread Starter

K7vza motherboard. T-bird 850 processor 20 gig seagate hd. also 548 meg backup maxtor hd. Radeon 7000 graphics card. Liteon cd writer. 256 meg pc133. 56k Modem. 52 speed cd drive.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you borrow another stick of memory?

9. Searcher

Searcher Thread Starter

Tried a 64 meg stick of pc 133. Did not help. Computer is still locking up.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This is an ECS board. I use them quite frequently. Here's a tip. It needs the latest bios and the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers. See if these 2 help, if not you've tried a new video card, harddrive and ram and a new install of windows - this leaves only a few things it could be - motherboard, modem(or any other PCI card) and the powersupply. The Powersupply could definitely be the fault and its highly unlikely its the CPU.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice