1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HARDWARE PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughes40, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hughes40

hughes40 Thread Starter

I HAD WIN98SE AND UPGRADED TO CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN2KPRO
    NOW THE HARD DRIVE LIGHT ON MY CASE STAYS LIT, AS IF THE HARD DRIVE IS RUNNING AN APPLICATION AT FULL BLAST
    EVEN IN DOS, GAMES, AND WHEN IT RESTARTS....IS THIS AN ISSUE I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT....WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX IT?
    BY THE WAY....HD USED TO MAKE THAT SOUND WHEN ITS PROCESSING DATA, NOW WITH THE LIGHT ON FULL BLAST IT WONT EVEN DO THAT.

AMD K6-2 500
    30 GIG HD
    TNTN2 M64 VIDEO-W LATEST UPDATES
    AOPEN SOUND CARD AW2000-W LATEST UPDATES
    WINDOWS 2000 PRO ENVIROMENT

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi hughes40, I don't have an answer, but this will get you back to the top for some of the smarter minds....

I wouldn't think that the hard drive spinning all the time would be a good thing.....

3. Jeckler

Jeckler

On my case, I have two HD LED's. One on the case itself, and one on the removable HD cartridge I use to swap with other HD's (multiple OS's). Sometimes, the one on the case is always on, while the one on the HD itself only lights during actual activity. It may not be anything to worry about, maybe a BIOS fault. If it lights up solid even after booting with a DOS boot disk, and you're sure there's no activity, it probably nothing. As fas as actually fixing it though, I haven't put to much though into it on mine, as I know it's not accurate.

4. durtydog

durtydog

here's the problem I had and how I "accidently" fixed it. When I converted over to win xp pro earlier this year my hard drive light stayed on constantly. I have 2 hard drives on my system one with xp and one with 98se. When booting off of the 98se drive the light would go back to normal. The other day my burner went out on me and while changing it out I redid my ide cables settings. To make a long story short I found that my hard drive that had xp on it was set as master ( as it should) with my dvd rom as slave, but set up on the secondary IDe port. When I swapped it to the Primary IDE port and rebooted the hard drive light went back to working as normal... Just alittle info that maybe can help some one with the same problem...

Durty

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

durtydog's "accidental" fix may have a scientific basis. All metal-to-metal connectors suffer a kind of "electrolytic" fouling over time. It is VERY common to see strange behavior on "older" machines just because of this. I recommend that you open the case... then, one-at-a-time, unplug and re-plug every cable (and card and memory module). In some areas you can even use a Q-tip/alcohol or pencil eraser (gently) to enhance the cleaning. This is standard/normal maintenance for older machines even if it does not solve this particular problem.

Be VERY careful when you do this - it is very easy to bend/break/damage the little pins. Also, when the machine is powered off leave it plugged in to maintain a "ground". Work barefoot or in socks and frequently touch the case/frame to discharge any possible static electricity build-up.

6. carltasha

carltasha

Slithy is a very smart guy ,, but he is wrong about the socks ,, no socks , cotton it ok but wool is a no no silk is the worst and nylon is not much better

7. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Yup, CT is right - I only had cotton socks in mind. Point is... avoid doing anything you know or believe will generate static electricity while you are working inside the case - a static electricity discharge can seriously damage electronic components.

8. carltasha

carltasha

i ONLY FRIED ONE MOBO WITH STATIC DISCHARGE ,, THATS MORE than enough . sorry for the caps

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice