1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Problem ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geordielad, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geordielad

geordielad Thread Starter

Hey there,

I was just wondering if i could have some help with my PC please.

When I switch my PC on, a series of beeps comes from my motherboard.

It's a beeeeeep which goes on for roughly around a second, then a second with no beeps, then another beeeep, and this continues until i decide to turn off the PC by the switch.

I've tried placing my RAM in different slots, but it doesn't work.

I would greatly appreciate your help

thank you in advance

2. bonk

bonk Banned

What make and model is your PC and how are they just long beeps or are some short beeps??

Can you get into safemode by tapping F8 on startup every second

3. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Yeah, it would be easier to solve this if the motherboard brand and model was known. Most new BIOS's, if an error is found, write the error message to screen. I know of two exceptions: bad RAM or bad graphics card. If your RAM module has failed, relocating it to other slots won't help. The module itself has to be replaced.

4. geordielad

i'm not 100% on my mother board, but I know it's Gigabyte

I have a AMD Athlon 3000+

1028 MB RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

They are Long beeps i would say which go on for about a 1/2 seconds then there is a silence for about the same amount of time and then the same beep, and its a constant circle like that.

I don't think I can get in safe mode, the screen doesn't turn on and the BIOS check doesnt show up :/

thank you

5. mslynn

mslynn

Gigabyte is a unit of measure, so that's probably not the name. You'll probably need to open it up to look at the board to get the make. Generally speaking the long beeps you're describing indicate memory problems, but the beep codes can vary from mfr to mfr. If you know your monitor is good and you're not getting any picture, I'd check my graphics card next which is usually 1 long beep followed by 2 shorter beeps, but again, can vary.

Do you have more than one RAM module? If so, have you tried putting in one at a time to see what results you get?

6. bigbear

bigbear

"Gigabyte is a unit of measure, so that's probably not the name"

Gigabyte is also a well know maker of good quality motherboards.http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/
    I agree with the previous posts, its possibly ram.
    Run memtest to test the ram http://www.memtest86.com/

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Possible reason: No Power, Loose Card or Defective Card or Short.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not know about quality motherboards since I am not a fan of gigabyte boards :)

The posters problem is memory related. The constant repeating beep code is for memory with award bios. Since it will not post, memtest will be of no value. Either the memory chip itself has failed OR the board has a problem.

To test try a known good memory chip OR you can pull the memory out and try it in another system. Trying the memory in another system is not a fool proof method, however it would give a good indication of which part has failed.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

crj while I agree it most likely is memory, it could also be video card. If this is onboard you could try adding a pci or agp....I would only check for memory at these 3 places:
    www.crucial.com, www.kingston.com or www.corsair.com to at least get the right model from their configurators...you will need to know mobo mfgr though.
    When you say you were trying different ram, is that where this started because you may need to reset the bios if so!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rich the beep code for the video [for the award bios] is long and short. He posts it is a constant beep space beep which is for the ram.

It would be easy to check; pull the ram and power up. If the beep code is the same, you have found the problem.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

crj,
    I have had constant long beeps on Award bios be for video card as well...older Intel mobos have shown it to me twice.

12. mslynn

mslynn

My bad about the Gigabyte board, Geordielad. Thanks for the correction, crj. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

13. geordielad

when i take out the RAM, the beeping stopped from what i remember.

and so you know my mother board is Gigabyte GA-7N400

it was a beep space beep space beep etc etc.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Now you know it is caused by ram. Try a known good ram chip and see what happens. If the problem still occurs with a known good ram chip, you probably have something on the board failing. Gigabyte is not noted as a mfg that lasts very long. Their boards seem to fail at the 1-2 year mark.

15. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Gigabyte says your mobo has Award BIOS.
    This site says that, in case of Award BIOS, the beep codes you described are RAM related.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice