1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iblamethescene, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iblamethescene

iblamethescene Thread Starter

please forgive the noobyness of this post...

I bought and built the computer about a year ago. the only problem I've had with it up untill now is the power supply going out which was about 5-6 months after having it.

here is a summary of what's going on with my computer:
    it froze one day after I got home from work and then I moved the mouse and it automatically restarted and then tried to Boot from CD and then windows wouldn't boot at all.

I reformatted and reinstalled windows XP with service pack 2 and now the display is messed up. I tried to install the video card drivers and my computer restarts 1/2 way through those, but I did manage to install the motherboard and CPU drivers...

what do I mean by "the display is messed up"? Well right now as I am typing this, there are lines everywhere, and it looks all glitchy/crappy and is seeming getting worse as I use the internet more and more...

I replaced the PSU because the one that came with my case died...

my friend who is more computer suave took a look at it and said it is most likely the video card and/or the PSU, but then when I explained the problem to a couple of co-workers they said it sounds like a Motherboard or Memory problem.

I'm just at a total loss. I don't want to buy new parts that aren't going to fix the problem.

here is a list of what my current machine consists of: (courtesy of my newegg invoices)
    -POWMAX CP0327PL-4 Window Black/Silver SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16811145047 DEAD PSU!
    - LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors. - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817170010
    -EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813123236
    -Leadtek PX6200 TC-16 GeForce 6200TC Supporting 128MB* DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    Item #: N82E16814122211
    -NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827152058
    -HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 (0A30356) 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822145082
    -AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819103535
    -random 512 MB memory my roommate got me from frys

I would love any help with this. I really have no idea where to start or anything. If I left out anything just ask and I'll try to respond ASAP and edit this post accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here's a start:

Memtest86
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

But I tend to go with the video card vote. Check to be sure it is firmly in its slot.

3. iblamethescene

I tried doing a memtest86 and I couldn't figure it out, and I couldn't see what to do because the display was so messed up.

and last night I pulled the graphics card and put it back in and the problem seemed to have gotten worse...and I don't have video on board or else I'd check that...is there anyway else to test the graphics card?

4. bigbear

bigbear

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Me too sounds like video card...

6. iblamethescene

is there anything like the "Burnintest" that is free? I noticed that one is pretty spendy just to test hardware.

I'm gonna ask my buddies to see if anyone has a card I can borrow to test it out.

and alright. I'll try and do a memtest over night tonight and see what's going on. thanks!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are quite a few free benchmarking utilities available, but from your description of the memtest attempt, none would seem to be very useful to you if you can't see the screen. You really need to start by swapping out that card with another. The results of that will answer a lot of questions.

When you tried to use memtest, were you running in Windows or did you use the boot floppy method and still have the display problems?

8. iblamethescene

the display problems happen from the second I turn the computer on. from the BIOS screen o when my desktop pops up. it's all distorted, and messed up.

and the BIOS screen looks like this:
    ???????????????????EWORWEGOJG?????????????????$3/34////////////
    gSDGSGOJ?????????????????????????/4/3/???????????????

with colors and things moving and whatnot, but I'm sure you get the picture...

9. iblamethescene

alright. so someone in a different forum recommended downloading Knoppix and seeing if the display would work in that operating system because he thought it was software and not hardware.

and right now as I type this, everything is perfect, but I'm not using windows XP I'm using the Boot CD I made with Knoppix...

I'm not sure if this means it's totally a software issue or not, but I just thought I'd fill everyone in on the discovery...

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

That would indicate the problem is not hardware....

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

And that would tend to indicate that it is hardware.

12. iblamethescene

danggit! I thought I had it figured out.

I ordered a new PSU and a new video card, just incase...but I don't think it's the video card since it works fine in Knoppix...but I may be wrong...

what do you guys think it might be? the motherboard?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's very peculiar that it would run fine with Knoppix when the BIOS screen is "messed up". Could be a fluke, but I still think the card is the chief suspect.

14. iblamethescene

yeah, I was so surprised when it booted up in Knoppix fine because the BIOS screen and stuff is so messed up...and it wasn't always like that. when I first got it back from my friend after he took a look at it, it was a little weird, and glitchy and then it seemed to have gotten worse as I messed around with it the less I could understand/see/make out on the screen...

what should I do from here?

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a new card on the way, there's not much else you can try.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice