Hardware problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nico285

I am experiencing a problem with my pc hardware recently and it’s been bugging me. I play a lot of games also watch Netflix and work on this pc. Recently my friend told me to go into the bios and change my ram from 2400mhz to 3000mhz and recently after being idle for an hour or two the cpu and gpu will just drop to 0% and the pc will be unresponsive I can still move my mouse but I can not open any applications or turn off pc from windows screen. Would this be because I switched the ram to 3000mhz

RAM has specifications. If it is designated to run at 2400 then it must only be set to 2400

crjdriver

You do not "just switch ram" IF your ram is rated at a given speed ie 3200 or whatever, and it is running at a default speed of 2133, you need to do more than just "switch" speed.
The ram should have a label with the required vdimm [ram voltage] timings, and rated speed. You can [sometimes] use XMP [if your board supports xmp] OR set these parameters manually in the bios.
It would REALLY help if your posted ALL of your exact system specs.

FWIW I never use xmp; I much prefer to set all parameters manually in the bios then test for stability.

Nico285

RTX 2070 super
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-core processor
16 go ddr4 ram
256 gb ssd
2 tb hdd

crjdriver

You need to post exact specs; 16gig of ram does not tell us much however 2x8 of corsair xxx123 says a LOT more. In addition, you have not included the exact motherboard.

Nico285

UserBenchmarks: Game 98%, Desk 78%, Work 84%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 86.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 112%
SSD: WD Green 240GB (2018) - 49.2%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 97.8%
RAM: Unknown TEAMGROUP-UD4-3000 2x8GB - 71.1%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B450M DS3H WIFI-CF

crjdriver

First of all, return ALL settings to default/stock. See if you still have the problem. To do this, enter the bios and load defaults. Save settings and restart.

You are not by chance running norton security that is available on the support page are you?

Nico285

No i am using kapersky but i just changed all settings to default and so faar it is looking good! I will keep u updated

crjdriver

It is really best to use the built in windows AV. Third party programs often cause issues and the windows AV works fine.
One other item. You do need to understand you have a low end micro board. Gigabyte makes some very fine motherboards however yours is a low end one; intended for a basic build. While this is probably not causing your current problem, it can be the source of lower performance than you expect.

Nico285

okay thankyou i have had my computer on for the past 7 hours with the ram back to stock settings and no problems yet!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online