1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware Profiles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JackC, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JackC

JackC Thread Starter

I copied the original hardware profile and then restarted the computer to go into the new profile and configure it. When I uninstalled some hardware, I wanted to make sure that it was still in the original configuration. I restarted again and went into the original profile, but the hardware wasn't there. When a new hardware profile is made should the new configurations effect the existing? I thought that the original hardware profile would not be changed. Please help...

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

This can be confusing. When you make the copy of the original, that is the backup. And in fact is the actual original. You are not going to touch that copy.

You then go into device manager and make changes to the current Hardware Profile. It is already loaded. So now you have created a new Profile to save the original. And made changes to the already loaded Hardware Profile.
    Now to decide which to load. Show the menu at start so that if there's a problem, you have the backup of the original available to you and can load that.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

After checking out Help and Support I wonder. Maybe you should have Disabled the original device in this profile rather than uninstalling. Then installed the new.

Disabling the new Hardware in the original profile would be necessary if you don't want it to be there. It would depend on what you have installed.

The question seems to be whether uninstalling uninstalls from all profiles. And conversly, if installing installs to all profiles. If so, using the disable/enable feature in the individual HArdware Profiles would be the way to go.

I have not tried this myself and am not sure about creating conflict using this method. Maybe someone who has done it will have more advice for you.

4. JackC

JackC Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I didn't uninstall anything pertinent to the machine itself because I wanted to make sure I was doing this right. I have learned from trial and error that it is best to leave things alone unless you are 100% certain of the outcome. I'll try different approaches to work this out. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice