1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware rated for higher-than received speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kenwoodfox, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenwoodfox

kenwoodfox Thread Starter

Hello all, I'm having trouble talking to my main NAS machine over my network, for help explaining ive drawn a diagram.
    upload_2019-11-17_14-11-6.png
    My problem is between my windows machines and my NAS, as outlined, all the hardware between me and the NAS should be rated for at least 72mb/s if not more and yet my max speed on either of these devices is 10.1mb/s at best, what on earth could be the problem? Ill admit im not a network genius.

My laptop has a SSD with a write speed of over 100mb/s
    My NAS has 6 drives in a raid array with a total read speed of 124mb/s
    Thanks so much for helping

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are you using for this measurement?

On the computer are you also getting 10.1 Mbps or less (using something like Speedtest.net)?

3. kenwoodfox

Im using a samba share and an nfs share, and transferring large test files of 1gb or greater.
    I tried using speedtest but the limiting factor was my internet, i got 7 down

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And by "1gb" you mean 1 giga-bit, right? Which, for file size is usually stated in Bytes, as in 0.125 giga-bytes. But you've converted everything to bits to save us the calculations and keep us from being confused?

Sorry, but I have to ask for confirmation because we've had people posting here who don't know their Bytes from bits and we all get confused.

5. kenwoodfox

You bring up a good point, I do think I had my units confused! So I ran through everything
    My LAN is giga-bit rated,
    the LAN connection speed is 10.1 mega-bytes
    my iperf speed is 94 mega-bits
    I'm using samba test files of 1 giga-byte or greater

Also as another side note i forgot to mention, there are more devices than pictured, but none have the constant bandwith consumption that the NAS has.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, your NAS to computer network speed is now in line with your expectations?

7. kenwoodfox

No my network should be rated for 1000mbs I'm only seeing 94 :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not understanding. Doesn't (from your initial post) "My NAS has 6 drives in a raid array with a total read speed of 124mb/s" mean that the NAS is limited to 124 Mbps? Or should that "124mb/s" be 124 MBps"?

And can the computer really handle more than around 100 Mbps (depends on data write speed and also the ethernet card and setting)?

Maybe somebody else can weigh in with more insight.

9. kenwoodfox

The NAS has a read speed from the raid array of 124mega bytes per sec, my laptop has a write speed of 900 or so, I have a gigabit rated port as well as the NAS, sorry for not being more specific.

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Are you doing these file transfers over wireless?

11. kenwoodfox

Both wired and wireless, my desktop has a cat5e connection though but my router should be rated for 125mega bytes per sec. I tried using iperf on a web server connected to the router through another backbone switch rated for gig, iperf said 94.1 megabits was the throughput so im confident that the cat5e cable connecting the desktop is not limiting me yet.
    Although the desktop only has a max read speed of 200 or so mega bytes so it could in theory limit my tests in the future.

12. kenwoodfox

This is all on the LAN, the router is giga-bit rated, its total throughput should be 1000mega bits per sec, now im not sure ill reach that max but im not seeing throughput like that at all i should at least be getting 100mega bytes, ill maybe update my graphic to better illustrate what components are gigabit rated.
    upload_2019-11-20_7-2-2.png
    The thing im asking is, if everything between me and my destination (my NAS) is rated for these speeds, why am i seeing such crawling transer speeds?

13. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Assuming we're correctly using Mb versus MB, the speeds are still not correct. On my home network, I get a consistent 100 to approx 113 MBps transfer rate going over my 1GigE infrastructure to my fileserver. My fileserver is not a physical box but a virtual machine running on a physical box with a bunch of other virtual machines doing other things.

For troubleshooting, I would direct wire your desktop to the NAS to see what transfer rates you're getting. The NIC on your desktop should have MDI/MDI-X support to negate the need for a crossover cable. From there I would move out on your infrastructure a piece at a time. So next would be to connect in your main backbone switch to the NAS and wire your desktop to this switch. Do your transfer test again to see what your transfer speeds are. And so on. Doing this will narrow down where the break down in performance is.

The number of switches in path shouldn't matter with obtaining reasonable transfer speeds in normal conditions. The speeds I mentioned for moving data over my 1GigE infrastructure is still consistent even over a network path with multiple switch hops. The worst where it's traversing 3 physical switch hops to get to my fileserver.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wouldn't call those speeds "crawling" but that's irrelevant. Just because a component is "rated for these speeds" doesn't mean that it is providing those speeds.

I assume you've checked the obvious--that the ethernet adapter on the computer is not set to 100 Mbps full or half duplex? If it is set for "auto" maybe for some reason it is only negotiating a 100 Mbps rate.

Has each cable in the test path been checked to make sure it is really providing greater than 100 Mbps? Remember that gigabit ethernet requires all 8 wires while 100 Mbps is fine with only 4.

15. kenwoodfox

I've checked the adapters on all the machines, the NAS though runs BSD and im not quite sure where the settings may be to confirm but the manual states that the act light will flash green rather than yellow when operating at high speed. I have not checked every wire actually and you bring up a good point, I don't have a tester but I do have a voltmeter and a breakout board, ill see what lines are not active if any, the connections all look solid but ill confirm the actual number of functioning lines on the cables asap.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!