1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hardware recognition help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bios9, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bios9

Bios9 Thread Starter

I have a little problem. On my laptop I used to have Windows XP Home Edition. Then I decided I wanted to try Ubuntu for fun so I downloaded it and booted my computer from the disk. So I chose Ubuntu as my OS. Now I want to change back to Windows XP. I lent my computer to my friend so he could put windows back on. Now everytime I boot my computer I get this screen:

Boot with windows xp
    Unidentified oparating system recovery drive

[or something like that]

When I continue into windows, I cant set up anything because it cantrecognize my hardware (i think). I tried setting up an internet connection but the wizard told me that I had hardware issues. When I opened up the device manager, alot of my hardware had a yellow question mark beside it (meaning, I guess that it was unidentified) and when I select it, the computer cant find any information on it (i.e. Manufacturer)

If anyone can help pleaseeee post here. I need my computer back. Thanks

2. Bios9

Bios9 Thread Starter

bump. sorry but i really need this fixed (all my school notes are on the comp)

3. cmw2010

cmw2010

What brand of laptop do you have, go to the manufacturers website from another computer that can access the internet and download the drivers that you need and burn to a CD then install them on the laptop.

4. Bios9

Bios9 Thread Starter

Alright thanks and also how do I find out which drivers I need? (ex. I have no idea what my sound card is)'

thanks.

5. cmw2010

cmw2010

You should be able to enter model number or if it is a Dell there is a Service Tag. Most major manufacturers have some kind of configuration tool that will tell you what hardware is supposed to be installed. Try to find just the Network card drivers, install them on your laptop and then access the website and let the system configuration scanner find the rest.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!