1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hardware remove icon for usb devices gone in Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rayi23, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

Hello. I just noticed that my hardware remove icon for usb devices is gone from the taskbar. I've always thought it is best to safely remove using this toolbar. But for some reason it is not longer there. How do you bring it back? thanks

2. octogenarian

octogenarian

Right click on the system tray. Select "customize notifications." Each item should give you three choices, one of which will be to always show it.

3. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

I found the link below; actually on this site. What brought the safely remove icon back for me was pasting:
    "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll" into RUN while I had my flash drive plugged in which manually removes it. After that it stayed. Hopefully for now.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/558285-wheres-my-safely-remove-icon.html

Although, some seem to believe that you do not need to safefully remove flash drives, etc; however, there are times when for some mysterious reason, it will not allow you to safely remove it. I have had to log off to do so. I wonder at times like this that it may ruin your card. My son never bothers to safely remove his camera flash card but it did have a short life span. I don't know if this is why it had a short life span. Some do not believe this will actually ruin the card but moreso the data.

4. ~En{rYpToR~

~En{rYpToR~

If you do not safely remove your device, there is a chance that the data will be lost. This happened to a friend of mine, he forgot to safely remove his USB device, and he lost all his data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice