1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hardware settings on win2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mls1282, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

I just installed windows 2000 on my computer and I cannot do the following things:

Change the display
    Hear sounds
    connect to the internet

I installed win2000 because I couldn't access win98 on my computer, and now I can't rectify the problem by downloading the drivers because I can't connect to the internet. Please help! When I try to find/ troubleshoot the new hardware, I get yellow exclamation points by the following(and I can't find the right drivers for them either): PCI simple communications, video, multimedia, and ethernet controllers. I have a ecs K7s5a mobo with 512 mb pc 133 with a 1.4+ ghz athlon xp... please help!

2. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Anybody out there?

3. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

As you have surmised, its a question of the correct Windows 2000 drivers for each of your errant devices.

The only hope is that you know the make and model of the devices and have someone with a computer willing to help out with the downloading and burning to a CD.

Windows XP might have been a better choice with its abundance of support for a vast range of devices.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are not going to get stuff like video boards and Ethernet adapters working without the drivers with W2K, where are the drivers that came with the hardware? I have no idea what a "PCI simple communications" device is, and you didn't bother to specify what make/model the other equipment is, so that's about as much help I can offer. :rolleyes:

Tell me again how you can post here, but you're not connected to the Internet? :confused:

5. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

I am using a friend's computer...I am using a SiS 7012 chipset...I am not too sure on the other specs...I do know I have a samsung monitor. do you think that the reason why everything is not working is because this system came with win98? I have been trying to get my win 98 to work but I have been unsuccessful so far...

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

W98 will also need the drivers, you really need to identify the parts, obtain the drivers, and then go about the install.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice