HardWare Upgrade and then some

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

foxtrotsam2

Am I expecting too much? :eek:

Aging little beast: AcerPower
Intel Celeron Processor; version x86 Family 6 Model 6Stepping 5, 500mhz
Bios version: Acer v3.2 R01-E3 EN
OS: Winxp (from win 98) did a clean install (NTFS)-incase this is true-I find NTFS is zippier than FAT32 is this possible :)
upgrade: from a 4 gig to an 80 gig hdd, operates very good :)
upgrade: from 64mgs to 320mgs SDRAM :)
Running Kodak Easy Share digital system
Running McAffee, GhostSurfer,PestPatrol,Winxp firewall,Office200,entire suite
CPU/DRAM Frequency 100/100 MHZ, 66/100 MHZ
Main Board ID: V76M

Q1: I would like to install a CD writer, WebCam and voice, upgrade my CPU,
will I need to upgrade my BIOS, cooling fan, power supply (power supply is original don't know what it has now but I can find out by taking off the top)
Q2: Can I run DRAM instead of SDRAM- I know they don't run side by side, which is faster
(y)

The motherboard won't support DDR Ram, or indeed a particular huge increase in CPU speed in fact to a max of 700Mhz

You've already overdone the RAM according to specs, max is 256MB

I hate to say this, but if you really want a huge increase in performance, it is time to retire the old lady

If you were to stay with it, upping the PSU to 350W may be advisable if you plan on adding the cd writer

foxtrotsam2

putasolution said:
The motherboard won't support DDR Ram, or indeed a particular huge increase in CPU speed in fact to a max of 700Mhz

You've already overdone the RAM according to specs, max is 256MB

I hate to say this, but if you really want a huge increase in performance, it is time to retire the old lady

If you were to stay with it, upping the PSU to 350W may be advisable if you plan on adding the cd writer
Thanx, ever hear the term, "If it don't need fixin' don't fix it"

foxtrotsam2

Thanx, I heard somewhere: quote, "if it don't need fixin' don't fix it"
guess it's time to move up to a whole new system, I donate these old beasts when they don't serve my purpose, good advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online