Hardware Upgrade Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MasterNe0

Ok. I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for while but didn't want to because I've heard that you need to reformat your harddrive when upgrading Pentium 3 to a Pentium 4 processor. I also want to upgrade my video card so I be able to go and buy the newer computer games out their since alot of them need better computer specs. My computer is like 4 years old.

Do I need to actually reformat my computer. Is their anything I can do so I don't have to do it so I can keep everything I have on my pc and can upgrade my hardware.

Current Computer Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 Processor 866 Mhz
512 MB of Ram
Geforce 3 ti200 Video Card
Window XP Pro ServicePack 1

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Windows XP just isn't very happen with a bunch of hardware upgrades at the same time. A clean install would be less problematic for you. I have seen some successful upgrades without a reinstall, doing a repair installation, however, how is your patience level? :D

Oh, and you can keep all your information, just burn it to cds.

MasterNe0

only like 2 upgrades really. I got alot of patience depending on what the problme is.
And I don't want to burn everything. It going to take forever since I want to back up my game data, music, videos, pictures, and lots lots more.

I've heard that you need to reformat your harddrive when upgrading Pentium 3 to a Pentium 4 processor

Not true. Just boot off the XP CD and do a repair install of Windows (don't press R the first time it tells you to, but the second).

MasterNe0

So i go buy myself a pentium 2.8 ghz processor, install it. Then pop the window xp cd in when i turn on my pc and do a repair install? and when it say to press R, don't do it. Do it the next time.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yes, that is what is being suggested.

Another thing to keep in mind, with the low price of a new hard drive, you can just keep the other drive you have now as a slave, and install a fresh copy of XP on the new drive and still have access to all your other files :D

Not quite don't forget the new motherboard,power-supply,ram and video card (unless you opt for onboard like mine).The p5rd1-v onboard graphics are pretty good and I can upgrade later to a pci express card

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Lol, I didn't even pick that part up :eek: I just assumed that the poster was replacing the entire motherboard :D A P4 chip doesn't fit into a P3 board, even with brute force :D

MasterNe0

so basically I gotta replace EVERYTHING. I think it be cheaper to buy a whole new pc and just take my harddrive as a slave one.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yep....pretty much. Dell has some good deals right now, if you don't feel comfortable building your own.

Don't get a Dell if you plan on playing games on the thing, though. If you do, at least make sure it has an AGP or PCIe x16 graphics card slot.

You wouldn't NEED to replace RAM, but it would be a severe encumbrance on your gaming if you didn't.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I could be wrong, but I don't think Dell ships units anymore with less than an AGP slot.

MasterNe0

I rather get a custom build one by someone I would trust anyways. I know what in it and what I want basically. I don't like namebrand computers like Dell which contains alot of software and stuff that i don't need. I know cause I fixed people Dell computers on my free time all the time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online